PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Will these wheels fit?

CorsaMikey
18-04-05, 07:32 PM
Will the 16" SRI wheels of a Corsa C fit a Corsa B?

I know the PCD of 4*100 is the same I am just unsure of the offset.

Will they catch the arches?

Cheers
Mikey

Adam
18-04-05, 07:36 PM
Will the 16" SRI wheels of a Corsa C fit a Corsa B?

I know the PCD of 4*100 is the same I am just unsure of the offset.

Will they catch the arches?

Cheers
Mikey
Yeah :wink:
Should be the same offset.

CorsaMikey
18-04-05, 08:44 PM
I read that the offset of these wheels was et40 whereas the offset of Corsa B wheels is et49 I think. I dont know if this is correct or not?

If these wheels will catch the arches, will I need to get them widened and how much does this cost?

Cheers
Mikey

Adam
19-04-05, 12:00 AM
As far as i am aware all vauxhalls have the same offset.
Have a look at the inside of the wheel to see what offset they are.
They should be the same as all vauxhall wheels, around et46-49.
I ain't 100% tho as i ain't ever seen the offset of a corsa c wheel.

dunova
19-04-05, 03:51 PM

Not all Vauxhall's have the same offset. For example, my Omega is ET33, Cav's and Calibra's iirc are ET40 etc. But afaik Nova's and Corsa's are all ET49. Generally, as a car gets bigger (and therefore wider) the offset gets lower, so i don't see any reason why Vaux would change the Corsa C to ET40.

Adam
19-04-05, 06:05 PM
Not all Vauxhall's have the same offset. For example, my Omega is ET33, Cav's and Calibra's iirc are ET40 etc. But afaik Nova's and Corsa's are all ET49. Generally, as a car gets bigger (and therefore wider) the offset gets lower, so i don't see any reason why Vaux would change the Corsa C to ET40.
I didn't know that cavs/calibras etc had a different offset.
But thinking about it then, yeah, as my astra has et46 standard wheels, with the car being bigger than a nova or corsa.

CorsaMikey
19-04-05, 06:26 PM
So its unlikey that they will be et40.

Has anyone got a number for vauxhall that I could ring to confirm the offset?

If, say for example the offset was et40, would I need to modify the arches?

epo
19-04-05, 08:57 PM

my cav gsi wheels fitted perfect am sure they were 49mm

Adam
19-04-05, 09:18 PM

my cav gsi wheels fitted perfect am sure they were 49mm
Yeah thats why i thought all/most vauxs were around et49, as thats why people put cav wheels onto a nova, because they fit perfect.
:?
CorsaMikey-ET40 would rub like a mofo if your car was lowered and probably with standard suspension. They will(should) fit fine tho, they should be the correct offset.

Adam
19-04-05, 09:22 PM
Just looked on a wheel offset site, and all vauxhalls are around ET49, cavs, astras, novas etc.
I thought they were. :wink:
So all 4stud vaux wheels should fit any other 4stud vaux, without arch mods at all.

Nick
19-04-05, 09:46 PM

erm why does the offset get lower as the car gets wider lol ?

go and look at what a wheel offset is. After all it's only milimeters.

dunova
20-04-05, 10:10 AM

Well i know afew Cav owners that have all got aftermarket alloys and all gone for 40 offset's. Also, as i previously stated, my Omega has an offset of 33. I guess i put 2 and 2 together and got 5 lol.

And my theory of bigger cars with lower offsets was based on the fact that a wheel offset is the distance from the Centerline of the wheel to the wheel bolt up face, therefore a lower offset can increase the solidity/strength of the wheel to the hub. This may be needed for extra strength on bigger/heavier cars, hence also why 5 stud patterns appear more on larger cars.

Jack
20-04-05, 01:57 PM

Well i know afew Cav owners that have all got aftermarket alloys and all gone for 40 offset's. Also, as i previously stated, my Omega has an offset of 33. I guess i put 2 and 2 together and got 5 lol.

And my theory of bigger cars with lower offsets was based on the fact that a wheel offset is the distance from the Centerline of the wheel to the wheel bolt up face, therefore a lower offset can increase the solidity/strength of the wheel to the hub. This may be needed for extra strength on bigger/heavier cars, hence also why 5 stud patterns appear more on larger cars.
ET0 means the hub meets the wheel bang on the centreline of the wheel.
-ET49 means the hub is 49mm further out towards the outer face of the wheel.

Sticking a lower offset (e.g. 40mm) means the hub is now 9mm further back in, however as the hub is fixed in place its the wheel itselfs that sticks OUT by 9mm. That explains why my ET38mm alloys (195/45/15 tyres) stuck out from under the arches on my hatch.

Positive offset pushes the wheel INTO the arch. So +ET49 would push the centreline of the wheel inwards, so the wheel will rub on suspension components rather than the outer arch.

Its often tough to get hold of a specific offset - wheel manufacturers usually just make their alloys to a select few offsets to cover closely to most applications (except for compomotive who seem to do every possible size under the sun lol). That might be why some of the cav people are using ET40 - there's a whole lot more availability at ET40 than there is at 49, even 45.

Having the wrong offset puts more strain on the bearings - imagine a 3 meter long pole with a 5Kg bucket of water on each end. Lifting the pole dead in the middle is easy, but lifting the pole at one end is harder. As the centreline of the wheel is pushed away from the hub, its a similar strain.

Information taken from here (http://www.usacomp.com/Offset.htm). As it says there "Defining which side positive or negative means is the part not everyone agrees with" so thats my disclaimer when people say i've got positive and negative offset the wrong way round :wink: (altho the above is how i've always done it!)

dunova
20-04-05, 02:26 PM
That might be why some of the cav people are using ET40 - there's a whole lot more availability at ET40 than there is at 49, even 45.

Good point, hadn't thought of that. Nice explanation btw :wink:

Jack
20-04-05, 03:28 PM
Nice explanation btw :wink:
Thanks... used up half my lunchbreak getting the wording right on that! Now waiting for someone to come along and tell me i've got it totally wrong lmfao :lol: