PDA

View Full Version : Wanadoo

Jack
18-04-05, 04:56 PM
Anyone an old broadband customer of Wanadoo? I'm on their old 512k broadband for ?27.99 a month - slow i know but it was uncapped useage. Now they've written to me saying "you've downloaded more than 40GB on average over the past three months, we're going to disconnect you if you keep using that much [45Gb]" .

I've looked all thru their T&Cs and "acceptable useage" policies and can't find anything about this limit. In one part it even stated the pre-April 2004 broadband was "uncapped" useage.... so how can they then write to me and say 'Sorry it is capped'?!

Ah well. Anyone recommend any decent UNCAPPED broadband ISPs? Looking at UKOnline at the mo - 2Mbps @ ?30 a month, uncapped :wink:...

markiemark
18-04-05, 09:20 PM
Fire fox is very good mate, and i can honestly say i hardly have any 'pop ups' or norton anti virus 'warnings' when on the internet - its very safe,and very good,if this helps in anyway :oops:

Nick
18-04-05, 09:58 PM
LMAO at the above LOL

Google haw, i use AOL broadband and it's a good reliable service, and a nice connection. Allways works.

Currently 512kbps costs 17.99 a month, unlimited usage.

However they're upgrading me to 1mb for free sometime soon.

AOL only lets your route your connection through their software which is shit.

i just turn off all the AOL "protection tools" like the crappy anti-virus rubbish, and then use Firefox as a browser. So you only really have to use the software to connect. Then you can discard it.

i knwo some people might have a bit of a chip on their shoulder over AOL, and it's americanism lol, but really it's cheap, quick, very reliable and they have excellent customer service.

1mb, unlimitied at 17.99 a month isn't bad !

burgo
18-04-05, 10:06 PM
AOL for ?30 a month you get a 2mb connection and free modem :wink: , plus ive never had a problem with downloading stuff and ive got shit loads lol

epo
19-04-05, 06:53 AM
my advice is dont get ntl

Jack
19-04-05, 12:16 PM
my advice is dont get ntl
Funnily enough i was expecting you to say that :lol:

-tucny-
19-04-05, 12:21 PM
im use wanadoo, they sent me an email of their updated terms and conditions last month and that had something about usage. alot of the 'unlimited' broadband deals are limited. They will say its unlimited subject to fair usage. 40 - 45 gb of download could potentially affect other users acording to wanadoo.

Jack
19-04-05, 12:38 PM
Just run some sums on my internet useage and there's no way I've used over 45Gb in the past three months so I have no idea where they got that figure from...

Jim
19-04-05, 01:27 PM
Stay away from BT, there a bunch of thieving c***s!

Jim

Alex
19-04-05, 01:28 PM
/\ lol i have easily used that. I stole some of your bandwidth.

ps get MS office. That will sort your problms out

Jules
19-04-05, 06:27 PM
I've used more than that in the last month!!
I'm supposedly on a 1GB daily cap - but until they chase it up I'll keep hogging it in!!
:lol:

Riggy
19-04-05, 07:02 PM
im on ntl 2mb for ?25 a month

and to agree with epo service is wank and it always fucks up , but it runs with my wireles router very easily :lol:

marsh_man
21-04-05, 02:24 AM
wanadoo and aol are just the same!

they both say pay an extra ?10 a month for broadband.

what do you get out of that ?10 ? about 1kb/s LOL!

they are both poor!

im on telewest broadband and not a problem yet. Also they gave me 0.5 mb upgrade for FREE!

markiemark
24-04-05, 09:46 PM
"LMAO at the above LOL " Nick what are you getting so excited about?? :?

Philsutton
24-04-05, 09:50 PM
im with ntl, if you like you internet to just randomly stop working an generally fuck up then this is the one to go for.

marsh_man
25-04-05, 08:49 AM
LOL Phil.

You should get the package in which I'm on:

-Free Calls 24/7 To Any Lan Line in the UK
-Most of the Sky Channels
-Broadband

For ?65 a month!

And then you just pay for any subscriptions you make to sky: eg. box office and any mobile charges!

marsh_man
25-04-05, 08:50 AM
Also:

there is a new company, if you want to have a look:

www.bulldogbroadband.com

Bulldog Broadband :)

paulwar
25-04-05, 11:15 AM
just to point out. I used to work for a smaller ISP

I can say there is not one good isp out there. They all have different problems / crapness.

As for hating BT and not going with them. Any ADSL connection in the uk baring ukonline aka easynet all wholesale from BT so you haven't got much choice other then to he use bt :p

Yes NTL sucks
Blueyonder rule

and have a look at metronet. www.metronet.co.uk
used to work for them and they didn't seem to bad.

Jack
25-04-05, 04:34 PM
and have a look at metronet. www.metronet.co.uk.

If you are getting ADSL for the first time or afresh there is a one off activation fee of ?69.95 that applies.
:o

Although they are unlimited, but still almost ?40 a month.

(before you ask I'd have to cancel and set up afresh as I'm currently on 512kbps and want to swap to 2mbps)

Quite like to look of the bulldog one tho - 2mbps for ?29 with ?1 setup fee (don't need any hardware). Hold up, requires a bulldog phone line too... i.e. additional ?10.50 a month.

Sod those then, UKO is still winning :wink:

epo
25-04-05, 10:19 PM
im with ntl, if you like you internet to just randomly stop working an generally fcuk up then this is the one to go for.

exactly and if you want to spen hours on the phone to technocal and to listern to them say after 3 hours
"oh it turns out its our problem after all"

w4nkers

TidyTees
27-04-05, 09:02 AM
i had major probs with NTL and still do occassionally. I pay using direct debit im on 3mb broadband. So the phone, tv and modem is on direct debit. all one bill.

Then i get cut off on the phone, so i can still call their customer service, they reconnect me after 48 hours (grr).

I then phone back after 48 hours - still no phone dial tone!

its there fault they are sorry, and the phone comes on instantly! (why should it have taken 48 houirs in teh first place!?!?!?)

So thats all sorted, then the internet goes down, so i reboot the cable modem (very good modem, the very first origanl model - black stands upright - superb!) and nothing!

So i call billing again (assume they have fcuked up) - billing say - nope your up to date.

i get put through to technical support - India!

They obviosily have no clue on what to do,

1) are you sat in front of the pc?

- if yes then carry on to stage 2
- if no then "please sit in fron of your pc" - repeat stage 1

2) Turn off PC
3)Turn back on PC

Your problem is it fixed

NO!!!!

Return to stage 1

Anyway lost my rag and asked to be put through to somebody i could understand,

arrogant bloke came on the phone told me to pay my fucking bill and then put the phone down on me!

So i called billing and spoke to a scottish bloke, he said he couldnt understand the techy support and that my compalint is in a pile on his desk with about 50 others that day. - he re-iterated that my bill was fine and i should call tech support.

left it till 6 pm at night spoke to an english bloke, he just flicked a switch and i was back on.

--------

Then the box came off my wall in the high winds and ripped one of my cables out, so got amn arial splitter for the ntl box and bought a wireless router to get interent upstairs.

recently though, NTL have not been that bad.

Thats my story - and wake up!

Davo :lol: :lol: :lol: