PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft...

MattNova
18-04-05, 01:56 PM
...right, i know that by now, everyone is fed up with being asked questions about 1.2 "tuning", but at least hear me out.

my question is what type of camshaft would be best suited for my little 1.2 merit? ive fitted an exhaust, a K&N, got a Weber 32/34 to fit with a 1.3sr manifold and as cant afford port and polish, im wondering what canshaft would be the best upgrade.

anyone help???

Cheers Matt

sTuDeNt
18-04-05, 02:13 PM
Cheapest option is one from 1.4 SR engine code 14NV. The following cam has the highest lift of all nova cams (i.e. 6.12mm both for outlet and inlet valves). However you will need to change the ignition system on your car to the same as on 14NV engine due to the drive of the distributor on the 14NV engine. You can not use 12NV (i.e. 1.2) coil and distributor!

I am currently swaping mine over. I had some problems on the way but i am resolving them slowly. At the moment I have problme as car starts to misfire after and around 3000rpm. If you need any more info, as I have just finished mine, please be my guest! 8)

Snowface
18-04-05, 06:18 PM
actually you probably can use the 12NV coil and Distributor as the later spi engines probably used the bosch setup.

Its the 12S carburated engines that have the delco dizzy that won't fit.

Get a kent ast 1 or 2 or piper equivalent. That will set you back ?200-280 to do it properly though.

Stuart
18-04-05, 08:21 PM
i saw a full piper 285 cam kit for ?200 in the FS forum a while back ;)

MattNova
20-04-05, 10:21 AM
whats the NV mean :? as in 12NV/ 14NV??

what bout fitting the cam from the GTe/ GSi?? ive been told that this can be done, or would the 1.4 one be better??

i thought that the 1.3 and the 1.4 were quite different i.e. different port sizes...

Matt

sTuDeNt
20-04-05, 10:44 AM
Mate as I told you earlier the best cam for you will be cam from 14NV (engine code 1.4 SR) that is due to the lift and duration on that cam. All carbed nova cams are interchangable but I am not too sure on the injection ones though as they have directi ignition and whatever. :)
Port sizes dont metter as you are only lifting the valves! :)

MattNova
20-04-05, 11:40 AM
right, i knew it might have been a stupid question, but i wasn't sure.

cheers for clarifying.

matt