PDA

View Full Version : Possible engine problem

mad-driver
16-04-05, 08:24 AM
Hi guys,

I think my Nova is poorly :( I noticed it hasnt been running quite as sweet as normal, ie getting a bit noisier under acceleration. Did an oil change and spark plugs two weeks ago and after checking the plugs last night they are coated in what looks like oil or carbon deposits. My dad says the piston rings could have gone.

Whatever it is i no its not gonna go away and will get worse. Any ideas? Or tips from people who have had the same problems?

I expect it will be quite expensive; moreso because im finishing my A levels at the minute so dont have any money.

cheers guys

ANDYRACER
16-04-05, 01:00 PM
Well mate if it is the piston rings i wouldn't bother rebuilding it coz i remember u saying a while ago ur engine had done 135,000 or something. So my suggestion would be just to get another engine theres loads about and they usual dont fetch much more than 100 quid.

nathan.
16-04-05, 01:26 PM
so its just got noisier? or, is there any other problems. lack of power, smoking etc.

Aragorn
16-04-05, 09:03 PM
matt black on plugs is fuelling

shiney black on plugs is oil

which do u have

Nick
16-04-05, 10:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/j829nick/IMG_0790.jpg

what's your opinion on this Arragorn ? is rather bad ! was runing on 3 cyl, and this is the worst of the 4 plugs . was plug no1.

it's definetly matt, but there's a shiney sheen ! (hard to see on piccy cos of camera flash reflection on the plug)

Aragorn
16-04-05, 11:08 PM
looks oily to me

overfuelling looks like dusty black

oil looks like oily black

that pic defo looks oily and not dusty

do a compression test?

mad-driver
17-04-05, 11:56 AM
3 of mine were carboned up, and one looked like the one above, but i emailed the bloke who i got the car off and he said it could be because it was used to doing long journeys, when i dont do them as often as he did. He said take it on a long journey and it will clear up...

So anyway went to northampton yesterday, checked my plugs last night and they looked fine!

I mean it may just be that it got coked up but the car seems fine. Oh btw no smoke or any power loss so im hoping it might be something trivial; if anything at all