PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tray Repair...

Nick
15-04-05, 06:40 PM
Right, i found a small rust hole in the battery tray so i got it cutt out and welded up.

he ended up taking a fair amount of metal out. But he's done a bit of a bodge-job.

I'm going to take it to a proffesional bodyshop and see what they can do with it.

My question is, How much metal can you take away from the Bulkhead/battery tray are ? Will they beable to take the old welded plate out and do a proper job ?

ade
15-04-05, 06:50 PM
depends on how much has been removed. As long as theres an edge to weld and it doesnt compromise the structure of the surrounding area Id say you could remove a fair bit. Its part oif the cockpit shell so has to be done properly..

Got any pics of the botch?

NovaloadedAgain
15-04-05, 06:51 PM
You can take quite alot out from that area mate, All the pro's need to do is cut around the weld & then do a proper weld repair, Should all look ok when its done.

Nick
15-04-05, 07:09 PM
i'l take a photo ade...

it's just a crap job. The weld and plate itself are ok, but there's just rusty bits now around the plate.

An absolute joke, the rest of the car is absolutly Sound, and i'm going to be very annoyed if he's screwed the whole car up due to a half arsed attempt.

Stuart
15-04-05, 08:04 PM
i took mine out to about 10mm from the edge of the verticle pannels. and then to almost halfway across the actual tray.

the steel was welded in "properly" so it should be stiff enough, and the bulkhead pannel was cut out to save weight and let more air to the carbs lol