PDA

View Full Version : Brand New shells and Bad Running spi's

Dod
14-04-05, 09:59 PM
Its been an eventful week. Got the Nova sent to our Nova Guru and even he cant get the fxcker to run right. She's got a 1400 carb with 1600 jets and idles at 1200rpm and seems not be getting enough fuel. My mechanic ans this other guy are stumped. Dont know whats wrong, said they're gonna try a 1400 brain. Out of what car? and is this likely to cure it? Frankly, i'm fed up of running around in my shit box of a Fiesta Van. It doesn't seem to wanna be driven, at all!!

Also this week, i heard there's a place in Northern Ireland making Brand New Nova shells at ?300 a go!! Anyone know where to get them as neither of us knew. Imagine, you'd have to class it as a q plate but over here i could register it as a brand new car. Mental!!!

Anyway, HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Fiesta's death is well over due as you'll alkl agree. I need the Nova back and running right!!! :evil:

dunova
14-04-05, 10:20 PM
Also this week, i heard there's a place in Northern Ireland making Brand New Nova shells at ?300 a go!!

That sounds like a stupid rumour imo. And if they are i dont see how they would be passed by the safety people because to be selling them at ?300 a piece they must be on a tight budget!!! Load of bo!!ocks i would have thought.

I hat fiesta's with a passion. They're on the same line as micra's. Even the new fiesta's have got such bad build quality and are extremely basic. I know i wouldn't want to be in one in a crash :!:

Unlucky on the engine. I haven't got a clue :lol:

Alex
14-04-05, 10:23 PM
a brand new mini shell (old shape) is near the 1K mark.....

Aragorn
14-04-05, 10:35 PM
how can u have 1600 jets and a 1400 carb on a spi?

1400 and 1600 throttle body is the same

the injector is different yes but that shouldnt cause bad idle, i'd recommend leaving the ECU alone - leave the standard 1400spi ecu on there, it will manage to work things out

if the idle is high its either leaking air or idle control valve is stuck (or the throttle cable isnt returning properly)

first thing to do is make sure the throttle linkage is against the stop then remove the idle control valve and give it a clean with carb cleaner

try spraying carb cleaner along the flange where the inlet manifold joins to the cylinder head - if tis leaking air along that flange then the revs will change when u spray carb cleaner on the leak, if the throttle body has been distrubed spray carb cleaner round the body and body to manifold flange too

check the brake servo pipe for leaks (i had a vacuum pipe off mine and was running shite for ages untill i noticed the hiss one day under bonnet and realised it was leaking), and check the vacuum feeds on the front of the throttle body which goto the carbon canister and hot air flap on bin lid arent open to atmosphere, check pipe to map sensor (on bulk head) isnt corroded

has it flagged up any fault codes?

Adam
14-04-05, 11:11 PM
Hhmmmm,
you said you got a 1400carb on it.
How have you got an ecu then :? :?

Or have i completely misunderstood your post :)

burgo
14-04-05, 11:19 PM
Hhmmmm,

Or have i completely misunderstood your post :) his post has confused me aswell mate i wouldnt worry lol. what i make out from it is he has a 1600 carb on a 1400. but then he goes on about the ecu and injector :? well weird

Adam
14-04-05, 11:23 PM
Hhmmmm,

Or have i completely misunderstood your post :) his post has confused me aswell mate i wouldnt worry lol. what i make out from it is he has a 1600 carb on a 1400. but then he goes on about the ecu and injector :? well weird
:lol:
From what i can make out, i see it as a 1400carb with 1600jets, on an spi engine, with an ecu that ain't from a 1.4 :roll:
:lol:

burgo
14-04-05, 11:24 PM
i dont think he knows what hes got lol

Dod
17-04-05, 01:41 PM
I know exactly what i'm on about. Its a 1400 SPi, with a 1400 SPi Carb with 1600 jets in it. Because the Car is an SPi it has a brain to controll the fuel injection. What i'm just after learning is that its still got the 1200i Brain in it. So that should sort out the biggest end of the problem, fingers crossed. If the worst comes to the worst, and i have to go for Carbs and no injection, whats the best route to go for? Twin 40's aren't really an option as its going to be an everyday car.

Adam
17-04-05, 03:33 PM
I know exactly what i'm on about. Its a 1400 SPi, with a 1400 SPi Carb with 1600 jets in it. Because the Car is an SPi it has a brain to controll the fuel injection. What i'm just after learning is that its still got the 1200i Brain in it. So that should sort out the biggest end of the problem, fingers crossed. If the worst comes to the worst, and i have to go for Carbs and no injection, whats the best route to go for? Twin 40's aren't really an option as its going to be an everyday car.
:? :?
How can you have an SPI throttle body with carb jets in.
It has an injector, not jets.
Use a 1400 spi throttle body, on the 1400spi engine, with a 1400 spi ecu.
Or remove the injection and use a 1400carb inlet and carb.

Snowface
17-04-05, 05:14 PM
^^ what long live said.

If its an spi it has a single injector in that is controlled electonically.

Jets are completly different.

And putting 1.6 injectors (or jets) in a 1.4 setup will decrease your performance and will make your car run pooh.

What year is your car. Perhaps we can work out what it is by that.