PDA

View Full Version : Gsi Engine Conversion

Ash
13-04-05, 10:07 PM
I'm play with the idea with a gsi engine swap, but i want it on carbs, now i dont need stupid quick so no t40s, i was thinking 32/34 would this work? well?

Aragorn
13-04-05, 11:35 PM
why do u want to remove the perfectly working injection system and fit an inferior carburettor

twin 40's are an upgrade

if your not wanting 40's leave the injection system on there and it'll be fine

Ash
14-04-05, 03:00 PM
but i like carb noise and cant be arsed to wire in injection stuff

Ash
14-04-05, 03:17 PM
but i like carb noise and cant be arsed to wire in injection stuff

Chris
14-04-05, 03:32 PM
it is easier to wire the injection in than fit carbs

Philsutton
14-04-05, 04:21 PM
would be much easier to stick with injection, only go for twin carbs. You will probably lose power with that carb

Aragorn
14-04-05, 04:31 PM
you WILL lose power with that carb.

there is no manifold that will fit which either means swapping to an inferior manifold which doesnt match properly and swapping head for an inferior head

both of which will lose power

the injection system is a piece of piss to wire in - live, ground, ignition live, rev counter management light and fuel pump live

6 wires

if u cant connect 6 wires u shouldnt be trying to fit an engine imo

Philsutton
14-04-05, 04:35 PM
if u cant connect 6 wires u shouldnt be trying to fit an engine imo
depends i have no problem changing engines ect.. but anything with wires or electrical an i havent a clue. I normally end up setting fire to my car when all i have is 3 wires to do lol. Electronics is giberish to me much like computer programing , its not some i was meant to do.

Aragorn
14-04-05, 04:46 PM
if u take a sensible approach u cant go wrong

its vauxhall wiring to vauxhall wiring so colors just match up

i could see how u could short things out if your wiring in something else (it might be easy to make the mistake that black = earth for instance) but surely taking 6 color coded wires and connecting them to things isnt really that hard once someone told u where they are going?

uve got permentant live and earth, these can simply goto battery, a switched live from igntion barrel (finding the one that stays on while cranking is the only possible sticking point here) and feed to fuel pump is pretty streight forward, the tacho and management light dont need connected but just goto the dash anyway

Ste_Nova
14-04-05, 05:38 PM
but i like carb noise

you should hear my c16se with k&n and 4 branch :lol:

Ash
14-04-05, 11:28 PM
wiring injection isnt as hard as i thought. may keep the efi then.

cheers for the input

ade
15-04-05, 07:02 PM
for the induction noise get a decent air filter and exhaust system..

T40's look good but you need a fuel tanker following you!

Snowface
15-04-05, 07:43 PM
for the induction noise get a decent air filter and exhaust system..

T40's look good but you need a fuel tanker following you!

need a bloody fast one though! :twisted:

Aragorn
15-04-05, 10:19 PM
this is a common misconception

any tuned engine will use more fuel in the same way a 150bhp 2.0 will use more petrol than a 100bhp 1.6, a 130bhp 1.6 will use more fuel than a std 1.6

whether u gain the 30bhp via carbs or other means is irrellevant you'll still have a drop in fuel economy, but that will only occur if your using the extra power, pootle along at 50mph and i bet u cant even tell the difference without digging out the calculator and doing the sums

my 1.6 16v does better fuel economy than my bro's 1.2i, im getting around 32-33mpg and hes getting 30-32mpg, the reason is he drives everywhere flat out and i dont, my engines more efficient so i need less throttle and due to shit tires and suspension generally drive quite sedately, hes revving the tits off the 1200 and has nice tires and coilovers so rags it round corners etc all the time

fuel economy is all down to driving style and i'd bet that a loon driving a standard gsi would use more fuel than a sensible person driving a medium spec'd 1.6 on t40's with cam etc

maxpaine
17-04-05, 11:54 PM
i do not think so it all depends od the gear box and the person that uses it

Ste L
18-04-05, 12:43 AM
but i like carb noise

you should hear my c16se with k&n and 4 branch :lol:

i second that, it does sound mint, yours ste :)