PDA

View Full Version : steering column shear bolt

snypa
13-04-05, 10:14 AM
Hi ive been trynna remove the shear bolt fom my column to change it, tried using a centre punch and hammer, then a chisel and hammer and after half an hour of whacking it, its not moving atall! Anyone have any other methods of removing this shear bolt? i take it it is a normal right hand thread? Thanks for the help in advance lads much appreciated

Ste L
13-04-05, 10:42 AM
angle grinder :twisted: lol

i would soak it in wd40 or similar, and then keep trying with the hanmmer and chisel, it will come off adventually

Dar
13-04-05, 10:45 AM
Its a bitch of a job. But try and cut or chisel a notch on the side of the shear bolt and then work it around with that. Once you have a good purchase on the notch you can usually work it around.

Goodluck Dar

Ste L
13-04-05, 10:48 AM
i was gonna say that, but persumed he'll of already done that, with trying to get it off already...

Dar
13-04-05, 11:04 AM
I thought it was worth mentioning just in case. I found once I had a decent notch in mine. The rest was easy.

snypa
13-04-05, 11:20 AM
cheers lads ill give it another try later, getting really pissed off with it last time probably didnt help! :evil:

Stuart
13-04-05, 01:07 PM
cut it off with a grinder and then drill the stud out and replace with a nut and bolt.

DISCO GSI
13-04-05, 01:14 PM
ive got to change my rack this weekend and the more i here about steering the less i want to do it! from what ive been told its easyer to go at it from underneith which i will try on sat as ive got a lift so i can adjust the hight its at to make life easyer any hints and tips are once again appreciated!