PDA

View Full Version : painting/powder coating wheels

benji
12-04-05, 10:18 PM
i want to paint my wheels black and i don't know what is the best paint to use. i want somthing hard wearing which isn't going to chip everytime i drive through gravel, would powder coating be alot stronger? the wheels are scratched and have some kerbing which i am not going to sort out, i will just paint over it. would powder coating fill in the scratches?

cheers

ben

markiemark
12-04-05, 10:39 PM
Not sure if this is in general,but theres a local place which would actualy grit blast the wheel,then powder coat the wheel for ?25 per wheel,which is very cheap.... so it might be worth looking into having the whole job done, the blasting takes it right down to the core and powder coating is a very good method and leaves a nice finish from what i have heard :wink:

NovaloadedAgain
13-04-05, 02:02 AM
You like my wheels too much dont ya! Lol :wink:

Powder coated wheels do chip, I havent chipped mine or kerbed them etc. But on my last Nova gravel was not a good idea for powder coated wheels. I know somebody who has an enamel oven & powder coat company & you can get em done for around ?200 for the 4 wheels, Not cheap.

benji
13-04-05, 05:12 PM
just looked at your feature. 115bhp at the wheels?? where was that rolling roaded? and have you been to pod in it?

Nick
13-04-05, 06:47 PM
:roll:

anyways... most alloy wheels are powder coated.. it's very strong..

if you have a very big arga at home you could powder coat them yourselve, but i'd say ?200 for 4 wheels is VERY expensive. i could have mine refurbished and sprayed for ?40 a wheel.

powder coating is just a type of powder like spray paint that you then stick in the oven to bake it hard. (big industrial ovens..)

at least that's what happened when i had bits of my MTB powder coated !

Paul
14-04-05, 11:57 AM
Nick ?40 a wheel x 4 is ?160, thats not that much difference to ?200, so it is not VERY expensive.

I recently had mine sand blasted and powder coated cost me ?120 for the 4. Shop around.

Paul

NovaloadedAgain
14-04-05, 02:56 PM
just looked at your feature. 115bhp at the wheels?? where was that rolling roaded? and have you been to pod in it?

Whoops! Should be 105bhp. Cheers mate, Havent been to the pod yet, its not far from me, I waan go this year need to save some cash to do a few more things & then im happy.

Also Nick in London people have higher overheads & just tend to rip people off more. But he picks up whatever you want done within a 5 mile radius & drops it off for ya when its done, Thats not a bad price for all that I dont think...

nathan.
14-04-05, 05:46 PM
105bhp @ wheels?????????

anyway, ben, all i use is cellulose gloss paint on my wheels. about 6 coats, nice and thick layers. haven't chipped yet.

benji
14-04-05, 06:29 PM
lol thats what i thought, mines that at the fly.

Dan
14-04-05, 06:33 PM
lol and same same modifications, never mind benji, the qtr is where the tales get told. not on r/r

benji
14-04-05, 06:40 PM
the 1.2 head must be better than the sri head

NovaloadedAgain
15-04-05, 12:45 AM
Different rolling roads & ambient conditions have there effects, But Im up for the pod this year so we'll see then I spose. But its come up with 100 on the first occasion & 105 on the second. So I thought that would mean the RR was quite accurate-Maybe not?!