PDA

View Full Version : have a found the right 1.6 engine?

dtm
11-04-05, 06:11 PM
hi lads,
ok ive found a 1.6 vauxhall cav 1989 which is single point injection (i think).
its runs very sweet and has done about 100k slow miles.

first of all will it fit into a nova and what gearbox would be on it?

am i right in saying that i could just use the bottom end and gearbox with a 1.2 head ( because it has bigger valve ports) and twin 40's?

if not what head could i use?
also is there a 16v head that would fit onto it?

cheers fellas for the help!!
dtm

Stuart
11-04-05, 06:18 PM
iirc some cavs had big block engines, you will want to check that!

as for the head, the 1.2 head will give a drop in power something cronic as the head has smaller valves than the 1.6, even though the 1.6 is likely to have the ghey square port head.

look for a 1.6 gte head forsale or similar.

Jay867
12-04-05, 11:56 AM
can you fit a square port carb, to the circle inlet gte injection head?

DISCO GSI
12-04-05, 12:02 PM
im sure a guy i used to know had twin 40s ( square ) on a round inlet but im not 100% it was a few years back! whatever it was he has to find someone that could weld alloy! but i would get some other opinions as i could be way out on this one!

Stuart
12-04-05, 01:11 PM
you can fir square port manifold to round port head, but you will get naff all benefit unless its jsut to get the car moving for a week while you wait for bits to come in.

as for round manifold on a square port head, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO big mistake lol all sorts of problems will ensue

dtm
12-04-05, 05:27 PM
cheers lads for the help

first things first

is the bottom end the same as the gsi's?
tbh i dont know how to tell exactly the difference between a big block and a small block engine- should the small block engine be no bigger than a 1.4 sr block?

also what does any one know a bhp figure for this single point injection engine as standard?

and what is the best head i can put on it (from another engine)
can i get a 16v head for this bottom end?

Nick
12-04-05, 06:06 PM
TBH go and buy a C16SE/E16SE

you'l beable to find one with less than "100k slow miles" and the head will be fine, it's a small block e.t.c

Snowface
12-04-05, 07:48 PM
there was a complete E16SE + gearbox, shafts, loom all of it on ebay the other week, it got no bids, starting bid was Just 99p!

It was CorsaNova's i think.