PDA

View Full Version : Lucky escape (fingers crossed!!!)

dhdev (Oli)
11-04-05, 01:06 PM
Took the cylinder head off my baby valver yesterday to see how much damage had occured when the vernier pulley on the exhaust cam had decided to fall apart. Now bearing in mind this is a high compression 16-valve, i'd expect massive valve piston fighting. At the time the pulley fell apart the revs were'nt too high (4500-5500rpm). The damage? non as far as i can tell :o :? No bent valves, no cracked pistons, nothing!!! Could i be the luckiest guy ever (apart from the obviously unluckyness of having a pulley fall apart :roll: ) Just gotta get the head checked for hidden damage then put it back together with a new vernier (bolts locktited this time :!: :!: ) and it should be all set for the ring 8)

Chris
11-04-05, 01:15 PM
Great news Oli, glad to hear it

Chris

DISCO GSI
11-04-05, 01:28 PM
ITS A NICE CHANGE WHEN THINGS GO GOOD ! LONG MAY IT CONTINUE

Philsutton
11-04-05, 03:13 PM
sounds like youve been very lucky indeed

Riggy
11-04-05, 05:24 PM
nice one mate glad to hear its not to bad :lol:

Stuart
11-04-05, 05:25 PM
woo hoo i can keep my head then lol

good skills

krobinson
11-04-05, 06:09 PM
Great news mate, looks like we both had a lucky escape!!

Let me know about the carbon mate :)

Keith

NovaNeil
12-04-05, 12:43 PM
Glad to hear that mate..... But on the downside you don't get to fit those Lairy cams you wanted ................yet :lol:

Neil

martweaver
12-04-05, 02:03 PM
NO WAY!! Cant believe it, Great news mate!! Threadlock everything in sight when rebuilding!!!
I was the guy with Karl & Andy in the Evo on the day by the way

See you at the Ring!
Mart

Will F
13-04-05, 09:28 AM
You are indeed the luckiest person in the world ever!
These engines arent the kindest, even when the belt slips a tooth!

No idea how you managed not to damage anything??

scott.parker
14-04-05, 07:56 PM
Great news mate, looks like we both had a lucky escape!!

Let me know about the carbon mate :)

Keith

Always happens in threes :?

Lets hope im as lucky mate,last weekend i was out driving the nova,and i think i got very use to the van,as when i whent to do a gear change from 3rd to 4th @90 ish i droped into 2nd :roll: revvvvvvvvv,woops back to 3rd and it was chugging like a C2V,getting it looked at and done from this weekend on just hope its at worst bet valve or so :(

Scott

James B
14-04-05, 08:29 PM
close shave that eh oli

oh and scott iv made some calls, will give you a bell in the next couple of days about gettin the motor fixed :+:

James

jamie gsi16v
14-04-05, 10:52 PM
thata f::kin lucky mate

scott.parker
14-04-05, 11:08 PM
close shave that eh oli

oh and scott iv made some calls, will give you a bell in the next couple of days about gettin the motor fixed :+:

James

Sorry dude should have said i have spoke to jase and he said he will be ok to do it before the vaux speed show,going to add a few things also,nothing power wise just a few bits that are needed :wink: .

Scott

j1400
15-04-05, 11:33 AM
:o That's good going, very lucky indeed :D

Are yo going to pull the head apart and lap all the valves in to check they are good and the guides are in good condition still??

dhdev (Oli)
18-04-05, 07:59 AM
I will be gettin the head checked this week, was too busy to get round to it last week. Gotta love vauxhall trade club head gasket, inlet and exhaust gasket, cambelt and headbolts all for ?64 :D