PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing - Quick fix

Nick
10-04-05, 09:12 PM
Wheel bearing time again...

this is a rear one, and is making a very very bad squeeky/griding sound. Ontop of the usual humming.

the car is going in on tuesday, but i have to use it to get to work tommorow (5 miles or so)

is there anything i can do for a quick fix to stop it siezing, and i think it's rather bad.

Also, what's the worst that could happen, it's a Rear one. is it just a case of it jamming up ?

Philsutton
10-04-05, 10:03 PM
i would just drive it if it was me, unless its really really bad as in the wheel is hanging off. Saying that i know someone you did a front one on his mondeo an i mean the only thing holding the wheel on was his driveshaft an he drove that to the garage at speeds above 100.

The very very worst that can happen is the wheelwill fall off, but you'll know if it gets that bad.

Snowface
10-04-05, 10:17 PM
only way the front wheel could fall off is if the heat melted the end of the shaft i think lol. That would be bad.

Philsutton
10-04-05, 10:20 PM
must be all those national parks you drive through that wear them out quicker lol.

couldnt help it :lol:

Nick
10-04-05, 10:54 PM
lol :wink: nice on phil, never saw that coming...

yep it's just making a hell of a racket, it's a rear bearing by the way. Squeeking/creaking louder than the sound of the engine lol !

i'l drive it tommorow, hopefully i wont die.... but as long as a tree takes my life, i'l be happy

srs1
10-04-05, 10:57 PM
as phil said.

it can fall off, but if you want to check it. try pulling at the wheel before you drive off.
if there is a bit of play, then leave it.
if theres just a slight bit, you should be ok.

my front bearing collapsed on the m6 with that scottish bloke in my car.

Philsutton
10-04-05, 11:00 PM
dont think a 1.2 could get you up to death defying speeds anyway :lol: , also i dont think the trees would take your life as help save them thus making it impossible to harm you.

Just dont go stupid driving it until you get it fixed an i cant see it being a big problem.

Nick
10-04-05, 11:02 PM
i checked it for play before

i'd say the wheel moves by about 2mm but only if you yank it pretty hard.

but there is play in it...

I was going to go squirting some oil in there but i think that'd just contaminate the grease and do more worse that good....

Stuart
11-04-05, 07:55 AM
umm the wheel onwt "fall off" as you put it (well unless it seized, got hot and shered the stub axel off lmao)

it will just collapsed and be all wonky,

i would just repack the bearing with grease and tighten it up a bit more than you should.

OH and dont take it to a garage to change the bearing you nonce, its an easy diy job!

DISCO GSI
11-04-05, 09:32 AM
in a way im glad to hear its not only mine that chews them up!

-Bruce-
11-04-05, 05:02 PM
my front bearing collapsed on the m6 with that scottish bloke in my car.

LOL that will be me then!!

As for the bearing problem Nick, I would say save the money and hassle and replace the bearings yourself. As Stu says its a easy job.

Bruce

Nick
11-04-05, 05:48 PM
i would just repack the bearing with grease and tighten it up a bit more than you should.

OH and dont take it to a garage to change the bearing you nonce, its an easy diy job!

I've allready done both the back ones, but a wonky previous wheel has killed this one again i think...

Anyhow, i need the car for fri sat and sun and i'm working all week so it's unfortunatly going to have to be a garage job i'm afraid.

it's just 100% dry i think, squeeking really badly, it's not got to go far tomoro morning, lets hope it doesn't die.

Donova
11-04-05, 08:51 PM
as has been said before,rear bearings are dead easy,Id whack some grease in it for quick fix before it seizes or does the stub axle in :!:

Nick
11-04-05, 09:57 PM
As has been said before

i'm surveying from about 8am-7pm everyday this week and need the car for saturday day and sunday to do some travelling....

the last thing i want to be doing is changing a sodding wheel bearing at 10pm in the evening.

Jack
12-04-05, 12:00 AM
i'm surveying the local trees from about 8am-7pm everyday this week and need the car for saturday day and sunday to do some travelling as i'm planning some tree-spotting....

Chris
12-04-05, 02:55 PM
I once had a rear wheel bearing seize, as somebody overtightened it, it sent me from the fast lane to the hard shoulder sideways on the M11 :o

DISCO GSI
12-04-05, 03:16 PM
bet that was different! what did it do get hot and cease? either way it must have been a clean pants affair

Chris
12-04-05, 03:36 PM
one of my mates had nipped the bearing up as they had a bit of play in them, they are a tapered bearing and if you do it too much then there is too much friction and they get too hot

Chris

Nick
12-04-05, 06:09 PM
i'm surveying the local trees from about 8am-7pm everyday this week and need the car for saturday day and sunday to do some travelling as i'm planning some tree-spotting....

Lol i didn't actually measure/record any trees today.. all building work ! god i hate surveying...

thanks chris, good job i didn't read that last night, as i don't think it would have filled me with much confidence this morning..

Cars gone to garage, only just made it, it was beggining to seize up as i drove in.