PDA

View Full Version : what metal

novamadcars
10-04-05, 08:14 PM
hi my m8 was wondering what metal should he use 2 flush his own boot cheers

markiemark
10-04-05, 10:03 PM
:( sorry cant be of any help, i dont understand what ppl mean by 'flush the boot' whats the difference? :lol: sorry i just have never looked into it

-tucny-
11-04-05, 09:16 AM
use the same guage metal as the boot skin i.e the metal from an old door or something. if you use a thicker guage metal you could blow holes in the boot skin when welding and vice versa because of the differance in heat each piece of metal needs to melt it.

ade
11-04-05, 02:20 PM
1.5-2mm I think. Cut slats up the sides just inside the recess then weld in place - then skim with filler. Thats what a mate of mine did and it was a top job...

"Flushing boot" basically means smooth the area where the number plate side - so rather than it being indented you have a clean smooth panel. Most people then relocate the plate in a bumper recess...

Ade

novamadcars
11-04-05, 03:27 PM
cheers guys for ya comments cheers

novamadcars
12-04-05, 11:58 AM
rite i got my spare door out of the shed 2day and started cutting it then relised that its not flat can i still use this 2 smooth my boot cheers

Chris
12-04-05, 12:22 PM
You can use thicker plate. It has less chance of distorting with the heat, I personally wouldnt use the door skin as it is too thin, you dont want anything that will push it (like you can do to a door) as that will crack the filler you use to smooth it off

Chris

novamadcars
12-04-05, 01:37 PM
what can i use then chris as tuncy said i could use a skin

-tucny-
12-04-05, 03:13 PM
The door skin should be fine just dont go pushing it in, you dont do that with a door. if your concerned about its strength you can always put a skimming of fibre glass filler paste over the plate.

the only problem you may have with a thicker guage steel as i mentioned above is that if its thicker than the boot skin then it will take more heat to melt it. so when the plate gets hot enough to melt during the weld then the heat may blow a hole in the boot skin. however it may weld fine.

which ever way you choose to do it, it may be fine. if it isnt you can always try it a different way.

Chris
12-04-05, 03:47 PM
it wont blow a hole in the boot if you get someone who can weld properly

novamadcars
13-04-05, 03:27 PM
my old man will be welding in the plate