PDA

View Full Version : fm modulator

epo
09-04-05, 04:39 PM
does for example a dvd player (in car) get its live feed from the fm modulator

Nick
09-04-05, 08:21 PM
I take you mean a Frequency modulated modulator ? lol

just trying to think why you'd need one. i'l dig out some of my A-level notes and work it out if your 100% stuck !

epo
09-04-05, 09:13 PM
so i can hear my dvds mate

Nick
09-04-05, 09:27 PM
erm i'd say no for the live feed on the DVD player...

FM modulation is where a wave is modulated by freqeuncy , an alternative to AM which is amplitude modulation.

Seeing as it's dealing with sound then i'd say the DVD player would need the same live as a PS would need ? is that straight from the invertor ?

Nick
09-04-05, 09:36 PM
http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/wiki/images/d/df/Frequency-modulation.png

that's Freq mod.

so i'd definetly say that you don't use the FM modulator output as the live feed (power) to the Dvd player ?

i'm a bit rusty and i lost my brimicombe book, someone else may beable to correct me

epo
10-04-05, 08:20 AM
yeah your right it came to me this morning its me being daft
i think i may have a problem with the dvd player ill have to strip it down

thanks anyway

Nick
10-04-05, 01:57 PM
yep, i don't think the DVD player would be too happy having a Feqeuncy modulated signal as it's input.

it needs a nice clean 230 peak V Sine wave !

epo
10-04-05, 04:14 PM
cant work out why it wont work at the moment

epo
10-04-05, 08:03 PM
jobs sorted now it was me being as thick as shite can now watch football factory and layer cake in the car :+:

Nick
10-04-05, 09:09 PM
good work, what was up with it ?

epo
10-04-05, 09:23 PM
the fm modulator was suposed to power the dvd player and do the signal via two leads off one fag lighter the power lead was bolloxed also forgot where the signal wire plugs into

i had a power feed lead which has now been hard wired in i just need to buy a 1amp fuse + holder to complete the job

it was down to me mainly forgetting how its wired :oops: :lol:

epo
11-04-05, 06:12 PM
where does the fm modulator plug into on an xbox then?

Chris
12-04-05, 04:25 PM
the FM modulator will plug into your headunit mate

Give me a ring and I'll explain how it all work together

Chris

epo
12-04-05, 05:29 PM
nice one ta just called you mate :lol:
ps answer the phone :wink:

Chris
12-04-05, 07:08 PM
was at work mate, cant always have my phone on my person depending where I am.

Not sure the technical term for what you need.

Anyone got any ideas?

Epo needs a box to split some A/V signal cables, just like RCA leads?

Chris

epo
12-04-05, 09:14 PM
was at work mate, cant always have my phone on my person depending where I am.

yeah i know mate am only messing :wink:

Nick
12-04-05, 10:04 PM
Epo needs a box to split some A/V signal cables, just like RCA leads?

Chris

an A/V splitter lol ?

i think i know what you mean, but i don't know the name of it.. il try find brimicombe , he'l know !

epo
13-04-05, 06:55 AM
ill have a look on ebay for an av splitter too

Dave
13-04-05, 09:56 PM
for my ps2 i have the red + yellow wires from the ps2 into the modulater and out of that into the aux conecter on my head unit via rca leads but the head unit and modulater are both pioneer so don't know if it would work the same with different makes??

Chris
13-04-05, 10:46 PM
Epo's is a standalone unit, the FM modulator doesnt actually connect to the stereo, it is a small transmitter so he need a junction box for the two inputs (DVD and XBOX) to go into the one

Chris

hendrix
14-04-05, 09:43 AM
i think you might get something from johns on the high street mate that will do the job, 2 RCA to one right?? im sure ive seen bits of kit lying around that will do that. If not try computer/dvd places. I know ive deffo seen that sort of stuff at the computer fair in Donny.
Andy

bump
13-05-05, 02:30 PM
you didn't say which way tyhey needed splitting
ie 1 into 2 or other way round

these should be able to help

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=253&MenuName=Phono+Adaptors&worldid=3&FromMenu=y&doy=13m5

alxlaw
23-05-05, 05:17 PM
i gave up with my fm mod, cudnt get it to work my sterio wouldnt locate the signal when i scanned?!?!?!, so i took it back, the speakers on the back of the screen are loud enough, im usually listnin to music anyway