PDA

View Full Version : Gsi Door cards - speakers

Aragorn
07-04-05, 12:18 PM
ok guys i currently have some blue SRi door cards with 13cm sony speakers fitted into them

ive got my front GSi door cards to fit but have held off as i dont know wether i should fit the speakers into the cards or do something else?

i was thinking of the possibility of bolting the speaker to the door itself and carefully cutting the fibreboard backing off the gsi door card inline with the speaker leaving just the fabric...

this would give the stealth unmodified look but still provide decent sound as its got proper speakers fitted?

what do you folks think of that?

boredbloke
07-04-05, 12:39 PM
If it doesn't affect the sound

I'd go without seeing them, as speakers in the door cards are just another thing a little yob can think it's possible for him to nick,

although in saying that i didn't hide mine.....

Jim
07-04-05, 01:21 PM
What type of windows do you have, electric or manual?

If you have electric, you need to take into account the arm mechanism and make sure it doesn't foul on the body of the speaker.

If you have manual, you will need to shorten the window winders so that it doesn't foul against the main cone area of the speaker.

Jim

Aragorn
07-04-05, 03:39 PM
its electrics that are going in although they arent fitted just now (i have a really shite manual to electric conversion set at the moment)

looking at the electric motors the arm looks identical to the manual setup except its got the motor attached underneath?

so as long as the current manual mechanism clears the speaker everything should be ok?

just weld/bolt some brackets onto the door frame and mount up the speaker and cut the board to match the speaker position

and having the speakers mounted on solid metal should give better sound quality than some wobbly 1mm fibreboard

i think i'll have a play later on and see what i can come up with

novaexplod
09-04-05, 12:04 PM
i wouldnt bother making up brackets. i put my speakers in my door cards yesterday having done the electric window conversion last week, they sound gud enough screwed into the doorcard. i put my speakers on the right hand side of the cards (closest side to door hinge) so that the speaker basically sits right next to the window motor but so the arms on the other side neway. the centre of the speaker measures about 180mm from the top, 120mm from the far side.

Aragorn
09-04-05, 09:42 PM
my problem was i didnt want to cut a hole in the door cards...

mounting the speaker to the door frame and cutting the wood stuff away from the rear of the card leaves a perfectly normal looking door card from the front but the sound can come thru uneffected too