PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 clocks into Mk1

Matt GTE
06-04-05, 09:42 PM
I'm currently halfway through swapping a Mk2 dash into my Mk1 SR, the clocks are going to cause me problems though.

The car came with the usual 6 dial clocks but because of the way they're mounted they won't go into the Mk2 dash easily (and the cover broke when I was levering them out :roll:). I also have 2 sets of Mk2 clocks, a 4 dial set from an SR and a 6 dial set with a knackered oil pressure gauge and sawn off mounting lugs from a GSi. The plan was to combine all 3 sets to make one good 6 dial set retaining the car's original mileage reading.

This would be easy but the connectors for the Mk1 and Mk2 clocks are different... the Mk1 has a 12 pin connector with seperate connectors for the oil pressure gauge and rev counter (1 wire each), the Mk2 clocks have 14 pin connectors.

What I'm after is a connector with some wire still attached from a Mk2 with the 6 dial clocks and/or pinouts for both the Mk1 and Mk2 6 dial clocks as I'm guessing the wires will be the same colours?

Any help appreciated, sorry for going on a bit :oops:!!!

Thanks,
Matt.

dan-hipgrave
06-04-05, 10:41 PM
ook here goes..

looking at my gsi plug i have the following:

pin 1 - Black - earth
pin 2 - blue/green - oil pressure light
pin 3 - grey/green - illumination bulbs
pin 4 - black - indicator
pin 5 - black/green - indicator
pin 6 - white - full beam
pin 7 - brown/yellow - rev counter? (goes behind rev counter)
pin 8 - brown - live
pin 9 - blue - temp guage? (goes behind temp guage)
pin 10 - blue/black - petrol guage? (goes behind petrol guage)
pin 11 - brown/yellow - engine management
pin 12 - blue/white - battery warning (i think)
pin 13 - brown/white - handbrake warning
pin 14 - brown/red - brake fluid warning

Hope that helps cos its taken me 10 mins to type it all lol

Aragorn
07-04-05, 12:29 AM
brown/yellow is management light

green is rev counter

oil pressure is still a spade connector afaik

just stick the 6 dial clocks into the 4dial casing and adjust the mileage to match the original clocks

and if u can take the oil pressure unit from the mk1 clocks and fit it to mk2 clocks do that too

most mk2 looms are the same, my 1.2i had oil pressure and rev counter wiring already present - i plugged a set of sri clocks in and it all worked streight off

Jack
07-04-05, 02:37 PM
Mk1 clocks fitted in my GSi dash no problem...

Matt GTE
07-04-05, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the replies, should give me something to be going on with :D.

just stick the 6 dial clocks into the 4dial casing and adjust the mileage to match the original clocks

and if u can take the oil pressure unit from the mk1 clocks and fit it to mk2 clocks do that too
I had considered that but looking at the casings and pcb's they are different. The speedos seem to be the same and interchangeable though so I can retain the car's original one whichever casing I end up using.

Matt.