PDA

View Full Version : engine/electrical help need quick

General Baxter
06-04-05, 06:10 PM
right finally my car want to start :wink:

it goes to start, it starts i let go of the key, to stop the starter and leave it running (like you do ;)) and the hole thing just shuts off like i have twisted the key to the off position!

is there a relay or something, earth? :evil:

iv have checked all my earths (what i can find) there all attached, and all wired up corret :evil:

Aragorn
06-04-05, 08:43 PM
what engine is it?

mowgli
06-04-05, 08:45 PM
I take it that you are talking about a fuel injected motor?

sounds like the injection feed is not correctly wired.
it needs to be fed with a wire that stays live when both the ignition & starter positions are used. are you using the old coil wire for the +ve feed?

General Baxter
06-04-05, 09:38 PM
i would have a problem with the 'fuel injected motor' if it was an injection car

its a 1300carb

mowgli
06-04-05, 11:54 PM
have you got an extra wire from the starter to the coil? the 1.3 carb has a ballasted feed to the coil, so it actually runs with only 6v. when starting, the starter motor draws so much from the battery that it lowers the coil voltage so there isn't much of a spark. to get round this, there is an extra wire from the starter to the coil to boost the spark.
if your motor won't spark when trying the starter motor, but will bump start, then the wire is not connected.
if it will fire on the starter but not when you let go of the key, then the normal ballasted wire has a fault

failing that, the timing could be way out

Aragorn
07-04-05, 01:46 AM
run a 12v ignition live streight to the black on the coil and see if it starts

if it does then its the coil feed wire as mowgli says

u shouldnt run it at 12v for long tho as it will probably damage the coil (more so if its NOT firing, ie ignition on engine off)