PDA

View Full Version : timing a 2ltr 8v

chappers1.3
06-04-05, 12:11 PM
i've just got ma engine back together, but have realised i needed the nice plastic bag of shite that covers the cam belt to time it up!! unfortunately this is now in tiny bits coz couldnt be arsed to take it off properly.

anyway, is there any other timing marks on the engine at all??? i think i can set the cam its just the bottom end i dont know how to do!?

shoudl i get a new cam belt cover thing or what??

cheers guys.

Chaps

Aragorn
06-04-05, 04:29 PM
there is a notch on the oil pump for setting the crank pulley (generally this points streight down) and cam usually aligns with notch on the backplate

running without a belt cover is stupid

u WILL get a stone in there one day and the engine will then terminate itself

Stuart
06-04-05, 05:40 PM
how come the rally boys rarely ever have cam death due to no cambelt covers??"?" hmmm

lol

when the engine is running its fine, but it a stone gets lodged in there while its off then you could be in for some trouble

Aragorn
06-04-05, 08:48 PM
well ollytb destroyed the head on his 20xe at the recent donnington outing by going off into the gravel and having no belt cover (and if he had had a belt cover he'd have sucked in some gravel with his unfiltered throttle bodies so wouldve killed it that way too but he shouldnt have been running without air filters either)

Snowface
06-04-05, 10:58 PM
the needle to line up the timing marks on my E16SE is on the cambelt cover.

not sure if what aragorn is saying is different.

Aragorn
07-04-05, 12:07 AM
there are 2 pointers

one is on the alternator pulley and the other on the actual crank pulley

the alternator pully one lines up with a pointer on the belt cover (around 2 oclock position iirc)

the one on the crank pulley should line up with notch on belt cover/oil pump (and points streight down)