PDA

View Full Version : Calling Small Block Experts

krobinson
05-04-05, 07:04 PM
Been chatting to steven about changing the cam, and opting for solid lifers on my 1300. Basically i'm running a 285 now, and while the engines stripped i'd rather spend a little and get even more from the engine.

There's an AST17 up for grabs, which is 320 degree ( i think ) and would run solid lifters etc with that. However this might make it a little bit shit to drive as a road car.

Whats the suggestions for a good race cam, that wont ruin driveability too much?

Engine spec is in my profile.

Keith

Aragorn
05-04-05, 08:38 PM
the ast2 is supposed to be good (290 degree)

and im sure slimjim has a 300degree piper cam which is pretty hot from what ive heard too

both are hydraulic profiles tho afaik

Stuart
05-04-05, 09:43 PM
take a look at the catcams range. im looking to get the 306 degree 12.75mm lift cam on a solid profile with double valve springs.

should be ok provided ive got the space at TDC for it lol

the catcams stuff looks damn good and apprently you dont need to get such mad durations with these as they are agressivly ground etc.

Nick
05-04-05, 10:54 PM
As Aarogorn said, the AST2 is a nice cam, balanced between driveability and lairyness lol

I'm soon to be purchasing hopefully, a set of solid lifters. I'l let you know how it goes, as long as i get my shed soon !

benji
05-04-05, 11:53 PM
As Aarogorn said, the AST2 is a nice cam, balanced between driveability and lairyness lol

I'm soon to be purchasing hopefully, a set of solid lifters. I'l let you know how it goes, as long as i get my shed soon !

didn't you read the first post? keith already has a 285 cam, moving to a ast2 will be pointless. and he also said he wants a solid profile cam which the ast2 isn't.

piper list a 320 deg. solid profile cam. power band is said to be 3500 - 8000. which is nice. will your bottom end be up to that sort of revving?

what are the standard pistons good for? if they list it at 8000, and the 285 cam is anything to go by, you will be revving higher than that

-Bruce-
06-04-05, 09:37 AM
I have got the same cam as jim, the piper 300 rally. He thinks its great and his engine does seem to put out good power, and drive nicely.

But if you want solids then the cam that you said sounds like a good choice. Ask steven as im sure he will know more than us about this sort of stuff.

I also have heard a little about catcams all being good.

Your call keith.

Bruce

Snowface
06-04-05, 10:44 AM
when i saw bill about my head last year i was talking to him about cams.

i said i got an ast2. he said its a good cam, but going to an ast3 would make a big improvment.

Apparently he knew someone/built up an engine for someone who made this change and it gave them a fair bit more power at top end.

Their is however always going to be a small sacrifice at low-mid range when putting in wild cams, which is more noticable if there wasn't a lot their to start with (1.2-1.3's).

And you do need solid lifters for the ast3 i think.

-Bruce-
06-04-05, 11:04 AM
Yeh think your correct there snowface, i was looking into the ast3 when i was looking for a cam and i think its solid lifters it uses!! Good cam spec though.

Bruce

krobinson
06-04-05, 06:12 PM
I want to run solid followers, and go over 300 degree's. However i dont want the car to be an absolute pig to drive!

Still in talks with steven and local motorsports place, will see what we can come up with :)

Keith

Aragorn
06-04-05, 07:29 PM
ast3 is only a 280degree cam?

ast 18 and 19 are 304 and 320 degree cams however

ast22 is 312 and ast 28 is 302

Snowface
06-04-05, 10:52 PM
ast2 is 290, ast3 is 280 with a higher lift.

krobinson
06-04-05, 11:26 PM
Kent cams are measured completely different tho. So a piper 285 cant be compared to a kent cam of simaliar profile.

For the moment were uprateing the valve springs and putting it back together on current spec. That way if i choose to change the cam, only the cam carrier will need removed.

Should have it back in a week, RR'd with some power figures. Glad the problem i had wasnt as bad as first thought.

Keith

Stuart
07-04-05, 08:06 AM
ok then if they are measured differently can the savoiur that is mr steve provide us with an accurate comparison please :o)

Aragorn
07-04-05, 11:51 AM
i thaught duration was a fixed value?

degrees before TDC when inlet valve opens + 180 + degrees after TDC when exhaust valve closes?

surely putting a dial guage on the cam lobe and measuing when the lift starts on the inlet valve and similarly when the lift ends on exhaust valve is going to give the required numbers to calculate duration?

unless they use some kinda threshold value for "inlet open" and both companies use different value?

sometimes u can have a more agressive profile thats same duration as another profile and obviously the more aggressive profile will be better as valves will be at higher lift for longer but this doesnt affect the actual duration of the cam, i'd imagine solid profiles to be more aggressive as theres less worry about jacking up lifters?

Stuart
07-04-05, 12:30 PM
and with solid profile cams you tend to need harder springs (in my case im getting double springs lol), and some are flat nosed which puts fack loads of strain on the system.

the threshold is where the difference in profiles comes in. the cat cams state 0-0mm duration and a 1mm-1mm duration and they are fairly different. but atleast you get both to do a good comparison etc.

whitty_nova_1300sr
07-04-05, 01:39 PM
ELLO M8 IM RUNNING A ULTIMATE ROAD CAM KIT FROM PIPER WITH MY TWIN40s. AND I HAVE A 2ND 1 FOR SALE http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/detProd.asp?ProductCode=KBV13285H-BL&PID=318711 PRODUCT NUMBER KBV13285H-BL. ITS A MENTAL CAM. ITS GOING CHEAP SO IF YOUR INTRESTED LET ME KNOW???

Aragorn
07-04-05, 03:48 PM
thats a 285 cam and he's looking for something in the 310-320degree range which need solid lifters

Snowface
08-04-05, 11:55 AM
that looks fairly mild, power comes in at 2200rpm.

and ?300! You can get the Kent kit ?50 cheaper than that.

Stuart
08-04-05, 12:43 PM
theres a piper 285 kit in the forsale forum for a lot less than ?300 ;o)

whitty_nova_1300sr
08-04-05, 01:15 PM
the only reason i got it as it was cheap!!!!!! so i brought 2. the both cost me less than ?300. i would pay ?300 4 a piper cam :lol:

Snowface
09-04-05, 08:28 PM
i wouldn't if i could get a kent ?50 cheaper.

what power is your 1.3 getting with this 285?