PDA

View Full Version : De cating exhaust

notenuffhoursintheday
05-04-05, 05:59 PM
hey guys I just wanted to know if I can decat my 1.2 carb its a k plate would i need to change my manifold and can i just run a straight pipe to a backbox or even clip on and what would sound best thanks

dandan
05-04-05, 07:08 PM
I didnt realise they made 1.2 carb models that late :? Has it had a carb conversion? Or an engine swap? IIRC all models after feb '92 were spi.

The CAT thing is a huge grey area. Cars made after Aug '92 should have a CAT but for some reason Novas arent listed.

notenuffhoursintheday
05-04-05, 07:12 PM
dunno mate dont think it has i always thought it was single point but then i noticed the carb im gonna find out if its b4 the date :D and if it is can i put a straight pipe from manifold to back box ? thanks

chris

Aragorn
05-04-05, 08:47 PM
u cant have a CAT on a carb engine

u will have a 1.2i

the throttle body looks similar to a carburettor but has a centrally mounted injector

the easiest way to tell is the fact u have no choke lever and an engine management light on the dash board

airbox is also held on by 2 bolts instead of 3

read my tuning guide in the technical guides sticky for more info

Jack
06-04-05, 01:06 PM
u cant have a CAT on a carb engine
Just what I was thinking....

Anyway; in case you do have a cat, and its a 1.2i - if you can prove the car or engine was made pre Aug 92 then you don't need a cat. If its post Aug 92 then you do. However, as mentioned in another post, although the condition of the cat is tested (and emissions) the MOT guide doesn't say "no cat = fail".

alxlaw
06-04-05, 04:53 PM
so how come my farty 1.0 carb has no emc but it does have a cat? and a choke?, i dont like my engine its weird and slower than a dislexic convencion (ho ho ho) :lol:

Aragorn
06-04-05, 08:57 PM
i can assure u that your carbed 1.0 will not have a cat

so its either not a 1.0 carb or its not the standard exhaust and someones bodged a cat on there for some reason

alxlaw
07-04-05, 02:15 PM
ok?.....well whats the gray sausage shaped thing that looks like its made out of cross ply mesh about 2 foot along the pipe from the manifold.... the exact same thinkg is on ma mates nova 1.2i he said that its a cat?

Aragorn
07-04-05, 03:59 PM
does your exahust manifold come out of the rear of the engine??

if you have a cat it will look like this:

http://www.discounthonparts.com/images/hcatalyticconverter.jpg

ie a flat box which is much smaller than the other silencers on the system

if its made from "cross ply mesh" it sounds like a standard flexijoint

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/photo/mrt191.jpg

which is simply there to stop vibrations from the engine rattling thru the entire system

alxlaw
08-04-05, 02:52 PM
thanktou you have enlightned me its just a flexi joint thing then ignore me i chat shit :oops: :lol: