PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat wheels

markiemark
05-04-05, 01:34 PM
A mate is going to do my new wheels for me,they have been on a tarmac rally nova,so they need to be refurbished.he said he would sandblast them (i think its actualy done with very fine metal not sand?) and then powder coat them in white with a gloss finish.

anyone had this method done before? is it good? also i have heard it chips easily???/ :o

coxie
05-04-05, 02:51 PM
if done properly its brilliant ..

shudnt chip easily .. theres another post for the same thing in ere somewhere 8)

Jack
05-04-05, 03:15 PM
That'll be here (http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=108840) then 8)

-tucny-
05-04-05, 03:49 PM
powder coating doesnt chip easily unless it hasnt been carried out properly in the first place.

To powder coat first the surface needs to be cleaned free of any previous coatings, which is why your mate recommends grit blasting them. then the wheels will be coated in the powder colour and put in a special oven, this then heats the wheels at a very high temperature until the powder starts to melt and fuse to the surface of the wheel. as this is now fused to the wheel it cannot chip away easily like paint can and its very durable.

id say it was the best way to recon a wheel, unless its a steel wheel then galvanising it prior to powder coating with give you the best protection.

markiemark
05-04-05, 09:15 PM
Thanks a lot :D sounds good. i will let you know and get pics up when there done.

cheers,apreciate it. 8)

Jack
06-04-05, 12:12 PM
then the wheels will be coated in the powder colour and put in a special oven, this then heats the wheels at a very high temperature until the powder starts to melt and fuse to the surface of the wheel.
Can the powder colour be applied to just one part of the wheel then? I'd like to get some new alloys and powder coat the spokes and leave the rim silver/chrome...

-tucny-
06-04-05, 03:45 PM
im not sure. possibley if the new coat being applied melts at a lower temperature than the exsisting coat. you may be best contacting a powder coaters for a bit more advice.