PDA

View Full Version : Wiring an amp and sub

Anonymous
11-01-01, 11:49 PM
I want to run a amp from my head unit, its a kenwood mini disc unit, can I simply get the wires running through the car and then under the rear seat? Under the mats etc, so you cant see them because I dont want to take the panels etc off.
I've also been told you cant run the amp from the head unit! Is this true?!
It will only be a cheap twin sub box, one of those 60 quid jobs from les smith, but that should do the job nicely.
If any1 can tell me how to wire the amp up it would be great! It will need to power at least one sub, and the Sony 6x9 rears on my shelf.
Thanx in advance.

Cris.

Anonymous
12-01-01, 08:56 AM
chris mail me about this.

Anonymous
12-01-01, 02:16 PM
Run a live from the amp to the battery, make sure there is a fuse or trip switch somewhere on it, it will be marked B+ on the amp. Run a remote wire from the amp 2 the one coming out of the head unit, it is normally the blue one. Then run an earth to the body work, on the amp it should be marked "GND".

Before you wire it, bolt it to where ever you want it 1st, it make life a lot easier.

If your not getting top dollar equipment, am amp wiring kit from Halfords will be fine. It is about ?15-?25.

Good Luck.

Anonymous
12-01-01, 02:21 PM
chris - mail me, i'll sort this out for you.

Anonymous
15-01-01, 08:08 PM
Keep the Ground wire nice 'N' short. Live as thick as you can get, Ox free if ya wanna spend the money. Use a decent RCA, Tripple sheelded gold plated ends, again if ya wanna spend the money. Keep the wires from speakers to the amp ox free. Get decent wires now, then when you wanna upgrade the amp/speakers you will allready have the decent wires.. If you wanna do it properly then put the rca down the middle of the car (take out ya seats) put the power down the side with all of the other power wires, passenger side i think!

Anonymous
24-01-01, 11:33 AM
the wiring kit from halfords are good coz it gives u a short ass earth cable and gives u all the cables u need plus u can run it under the carpet coz i done it with mine