PDA

View Full Version : PC Problem

GOZ
04-04-05, 02:16 PM
Hi i have currently got 2 x 128MB SDRAM on my PC and wanted more so i thought 2 x 256MB should do it. So i checked what RAM i would need: pin, voltage etc and ordered some from novatech (where i buy all my PC stuff). They only had 1 in stock so i said ok just send me one for the time being and i will buy another when you have some more. So i opened up the PC and put the new RAM in closed it again and swithed on. The windows xp loading screen came on but then it would just stop and go no further so i put my old RAM back in and its fine i was pretty sure i brought the right kind but maybe not or maybe they sent me the wrong type has anyone got any ideas why it would not work if it is the right type Cheers.

Jack
04-04-05, 02:44 PM
What motherboard is it?

Breeny
04-04-05, 02:46 PM
How old is the mobo? May not take 512Mb if its that old..

Some mobo's are fussy which dimm slot the memory goes into also.. try the other slot and see.

Out of interest which memory did you order?

GOZ
04-04-05, 02:50 PM
Well here's a link to my motherboard support page and it says it can handle upto 1gb.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=spec_cosmos&PibItemParent=P480409701#show

And here's a link to the memory type i brought. I also thought to use the other slot so i did but still no joy.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?RAM-256%2F13

-tucny-
05-04-05, 07:46 PM
how many ram slots does it have? did you try putting the new ram in another slot. some mbs need the ram in a particular slot if your just using one stick.

GOZ
06-04-05, 11:40 AM
Yeah i did try both slots but still had no luck.

Dar
06-04-05, 12:26 PM
Does the PC show the correct ammount of memmory when it boots up (with the new stick of memory)?
If not I would imagine that its a problem with the memory. If it is correct then it would be a good idea to run a bootable memory checker to test it further.

GOZ
06-04-05, 07:07 PM
It never gets far enough for me to check it just stops after the windows xp loading screen and won't go any further. Is there a way to check via the bios i know that my bios is crap though, most things are blocked or greyed out so they can't be changed.

Dar
07-04-05, 01:18 AM
You can get memory checkers on boot discs. So it doesn't even try and boot in to the OS. You will however need to find a mate with a CD burner and a internet connection so that you can download and burn a disc.

I got one free from somewhere on the net. Just google for one. If I come across one I will post it here.

Jack
07-04-05, 09:23 AM
It never gets far enough for me to check it just stops after the windows xp loading screen and won't go any further.
RAM Check is part of the POST, and should come up before the WinXP loading screen (unless its been disabled in the BIOS - but you should be able to go in and change that if it has).

GOZ
07-04-05, 04:40 PM
You can get memory checkers on boot discs. So it doesn't even try and boot in to the OS. You will however need to find a mate with a CD burner and a internet connection so that you can download and burn a disc.

Yeah i might try one of those bootable memory checkers.

RAM Check is part of the POST, and should come up before the WinXP loading screen (unless its been disabled in the BIOS - but you should be able to go in and change that if it has).

The only thing i see before the win xp loading screen is a packard bell logo.

marsh_man
07-04-05, 11:24 PM
have you tried updating your bios to allow more memory?

look on your mobo for a bios specification and then use google to find the upgrade.

GOZ
08-04-05, 02:53 PM
have you tried updating your bios to allow more memory?

look on your mobo for a bios specification and then use google to find the upgrade.

Well i just checked the support page for my mobo and there's not really any updates that look like they might do it. The only updates are to allow the mobo to work better with higher speed p4 processors and thats about it.

hendrix
08-04-05, 03:14 PM
some computers are memory specific, not sure which makes but they dont allow you to upgrade with just any memory. basically its so they can make more money from upgrades. Also what SDRAM are you using cuz u can get different types like PC100 and PC133 and other types as well.
If the memory stick is buggered it wont boot up, but i thought it wouldnt get past the bios if the whole stick is knackered?
Also try putting ur new stick in the number one dimm slot and the old one in the second slot, thats what i had to do on mine, also you cant mix and match PC133 and PC100 iirc
Andy

Riggy
08-04-05, 07:55 PM
The only thing i see before the win xp loading screen is a packard bell logo.

when your pc starts to boot up go into the bios and disable quick boot

you will then see all the bios checks when your booting up

GOZ
09-04-05, 11:35 AM
Im using pc 133 like my mobo support page said i had to, and it was a single stick of 256mb.

I will also try disableing quick boot like riggy said.