PDA

View Full Version : V6 nova

justnovas
04-04-05, 12:37 PM
Has any one seen or fitted a v6 in to a nova?
I know it has been done and hope to do one very soon just seeing if any one has any usefull input.
Hope to run on F20 gearbox so it sould just be fitting the engine mount in right place???
:?

Philsutton
04-04-05, 04:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/novaneil/57.jpg
they are crap though, you want to put it in the back. Plus youve got enough projects at the moment. :D

smithy87
04-04-05, 04:16 PM
^^^ Lol, who'll suspect the 5-door :lol:

Jack
04-04-05, 04:43 PM
Mmmmm, rusty :lol:

Will
04-04-05, 05:25 PM

safe

wonder wot brakes it runs?

mowgli
04-04-05, 08:11 PM
If they could afford the v6 lump, they could have afforded a better car to stick it in. but i do like the q car effect.

IF the v6 lump is as heavy as people say, even though some south african opel astras had it factory fitted, how bad is the weight imbalance?? could it be as bad as a mini (and they go round corners)? surely quite a lot of weight over the driven wheels is actually a good idea? isn't the whole idea of a deep front spoiler & splitter to get downforce(weight) on the nose????? if the front grips then the back will follow. maybe the suspension just needs some serious thought.

Aragorn
04-04-05, 09:16 PM
the fact is simply to do with centreptial forces acting on the front end of the car

the car doesnt want to go round the corner - physics makes it want to go streight

when u corner u have the frictional force from the tires against the centreptial force from the mass thats travelling in circular motion

the more mass u have the more centreptial force which means theres more forces fighting against the friction and the end result is understeer at lower speeds than with less weight over the front wheels

burgo
04-04-05, 10:39 PM

safe

wonder wot brakes it runs?they are big steelies so hopefully hes got 16v jobbies under there

Nick
04-04-05, 11:32 PM
fooking hell...

anyone noticed the herrendous lowness, and Camber ! off the wheels on that blue nova next to it !

he's gonna need a new set of tyres every time he goes out.

Ste_Nova
05-04-05, 08:39 AM
looks tight....

http://www.vivasandstuff.co.uk/pages/bil0308.jpg

watch out for v6 corsa gsi that one of the lads local to me has knocked up :twisted:

justnovas
05-04-05, 09:17 AM
It was not for me, I ask kyle if he payed for engine ?700 I will fit for free....
He said he will think about it??????????????
:?
I bet a LSD would make it go around corners.

mowgli
06-04-05, 08:53 PM
I still don't get this too much weight over the front thing.
I would love to know how much the v6 weighs compared to an old red top 16v. surely the straight on thing is just because people use the loud pedal too much. my old gte could straight on understeer in the dry with ease till I altered my driving style

Aragorn
06-04-05, 09:00 PM
ive just explained the weight over the front thing

more weight = more centrepital force acting in the opposite direction from where u want to go

david dixon
06-04-05, 10:08 PM
looks tight....

http://www.vivasandstuff.co.uk/pages/bil0308.jpg

watch out for v6 corsa gsi that one of the lads local to me has knocked up :twisted:

one of my mates built that, it was a 3.0 on jenvey boddies and dta managment. nice. :D

mowgli
06-04-05, 10:51 PM
Aragorn, I am not being thick, I have an engineering background.
I understand that a bigger engine will alter the weight balance, but bigger wheels will supply more grip (in the dry) and more weight directly over the wheels will help with traction.
there is also a trade off with lowered & stiffer suspension. it gives much better handling until the limit is reached, and then it will give straight on understeer
I just think that a v6 nova could be made to work but it may need some professional suspension work to sort out the roll centre & centre of gravity.
I have seen rear engined vehicles with terminal understeer, and front engined front drive cars that are tail happy.
I would imagine that the extra weight of the engine can't be much more than about 30 kg more than a 16v 4pot, and by design it will be lower and more central (but not by much) and will actually have more rearward weight(due to the 'back' bank of cylinders).
shifting the battery, tidying the engine bay and fitting tubular exhausts instead of the std cast ones, and sorting out some panel lightening would get close to equalising that .
it would probably be possible to move the engine back on its mounts a bit.
It is pretty obvious that a nova with much more than 150bhp will go like hell & will be a handful to drive.

Snowface
06-04-05, 11:02 PM
i think the theory he's talking about is similar to holding a bicycle wheel with 2 hands and spinning it. You'll find it hard to steer it left and right the faster it spins.

mowgli
06-04-05, 11:47 PM
I think that is centrifugal not centripetal forces

I don't argue with scientific fact, I just think there are enough v6 novas & corsas out there & enough engineers to make them work. I think the extra torque & bhp will be more of a factor than the weight of the engine.

if you had 2 identical cars. and made one have 100 bhp & the other 150bhp, the 150 bhp one would be faster from a-b but their maximum cornering speeds would be identical, the straight line performance would obviously be much better for the 150bhp car, and it would arrive at the corner much quicker. thus it would understeer more because it is travelling faster, it would require more braking effort, and because of the extra braking the forward weight transfer would be much higher, and it will try to go straight on.

Jack
07-04-05, 02:16 PM
I have seen rear engined vehicles with terminal understeer, and front engined front drive cars that are tail happy.
I can show you a 4WD car that has a rather *ahem* "active" rear end :twisted:

NovaloadedAgain
07-04-05, 07:01 PM
Ive seen a 3 door v6 before & it was very grunty. Anyone got any finished pics of that 5 door???

NickWalliams
08-04-05, 03:02 PM
I think that is centrifugal not centripetal forces

There is no such thing as centrifugal force its a myth, centrepetal is the correct term.

:lol:

Ste_Nova
08-04-05, 06:15 PM
nice!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Topham/johnscorsa020.jpg

justnovas
08-04-05, 06:24 PM
Can any one guss where the battery is on the corsa above????
in the bay or not... :? :?

Ste_Nova
08-04-05, 06:32 PM
it's in a box in the boot

mowgli
08-04-05, 07:50 PM
noveoclawsk16v wrote
There is no such thing as centrifugal force its a myth, centrepetal is the correct term.

to quote the Collins Concise English Dictionary.

Centrifugal Force:- n. a force that acts outwards on any body that rotates or moves along a curved path.

Centripetal Force:- n. a force that acts inwards on any body that rotates or moves along a curved path.

Lets stop splitting hairs, the argument is based on does a v6 nova understeer too much.

I may just go out & find one for the challenge.

Philsutton
08-04-05, 08:02 PM
actually i think the question was to do with fitting the engine not how shit or good they handle

mowgli
08-04-05, 11:16 PM
the question was has anyone seen one or fitted one & can anyone give any input.
I personally think fitting one would be a benefit.

By the way, has the front panel been cut & rewelded in that red corsa?

I remember the first time I saw a v6 corsa in a mag in the mid nineties and the mag people reckoned it fitted really easily and it was great fun

From what i've seen, the nova has a bigger engine bay

Ste_Nova
09-04-05, 10:23 AM
By the way, has the front panel been cut & rewelded in that red corsa?

yeh.... was quicker that fiddling arround trying to squeeze it in