PDA

View Full Version : Which oil?

mad-driver
03-04-05, 11:21 PM
Hi there novaload buddies! I have a 1400 SR and would like to know the best oil to use. It has 124,000 miles and runs sweet as a nut! Just done an oil change with vauxhall semi-synthetic.

So what d'ya all think? Is that a good oil to use, or would a special one be better as the miles are in the higher figures?

cheers

Sam

boredbloke
03-04-05, 11:36 PM
Personally i'd have gone for the magnetec stuff,

It has magnetic particals in it which helps it to keep everything coated even when cold.

Thas my choice anyway.

There is another i'd use by i can't think of the name, it's like snot and sticks like it too!! lol!

General Baxter
04-04-05, 12:07 AM
chip fat :lol:

mad-driver
04-04-05, 09:18 AM
chip fat :lol:

lol could have expected that from you baxter! :lol:

Aragorn
04-04-05, 10:43 AM
yer vaux 10w40 semi is fine

i run my 16v on whatever the motorfactors have at the time - its usually about a tenner a gallon and i change it every 3-4000miles

the way i see is that the only thing these dearer oils are going to do better is "last" longer and i'd rather change my oil as soon as it goes dark than run it to the 10k oil change interval anyway so its not an issue

they are all API SL rated and most of them are ACEA A2/B2 rated too (ACEA is much higher spec), ive seen some expensive branded oil thats only SJ rated which is quite worrying tbh

all the magnatec crap about sticking to your engine - i had an engine in the garage for over a year and when it was taken apart every component that was supposed to be lubricated was still covered in a film of oil a year later - and thats on standard oil so dont waste your money and use standard oil, but change it regularly :)

Cassie-Nova
04-04-05, 05:14 PM
What oil would be best to use on a 1.2 Merit, 1986 (C-Reg) 55,000 miles?

Thanks

Will
04-04-05, 05:23 PM
personally i prefer sunflower oil

olive is more expensive but better.......

Aragorn
04-04-05, 05:24 PM
15w40 semi synthetic oil with an ACEA rating of A2/B2

you could prolly also use 10w40 semi synth at the same A2/B2 rating

the 10w40 is a bit thinner when cold so provides better cold start protection and they are both 40weights once warm so that wont make a difference

do not use any oil with API SG or SJ ratings on it as these are very old standards and arent really that good quality (API SL is ok but ACEA A2/B2 well exceeds SL rated oil anyway)

Cassie-Nova
04-04-05, 05:35 PM
So I shouldn't touch the castrol/magnatec stuff then :) Cheers Aragorn

garyc
04-04-05, 08:37 PM
I'd run fully synthetic everytime, it is certainly far superior to mineral. Although it is not cheap there should be an overall fuel saving as there is less work to be done to pump it round your engine. You can pick mobil 1 up on ebay for about 3 quid a litre.

As for the magnatec stuff, it chemically binds to the metal parts of the engine and has a long oil molecule like chain which helps prevent metal metal contact. I ampretty sure it is the same as the ZX1 additive which you can pick up in halfords.

Stuart
04-04-05, 08:55 PM
to be perfectly honest most nova engines dont give a fcuk what you run in them lol, i didnt do an oil change for 2.5 years (25K) and it was fine!

unless your running some kind of trick ass race engine etc then just run what ever you can lay your hands on eg halfords own, local motorfactors own etc 15W40 rating. or go spend a little extra on semi synth, VX semi is recognised as being pretty good, but mobil and shell oils are great for the ash content lark.

oil is oil as far as most cars are concerned lol. even the omega gets tescos own label oil lmao

retrosi
04-04-05, 09:56 PM
from what i know from work vaux oil is shell oil rebranded!