PDA

View Full Version : Newbie What engine?

Va11xall_nova
03-04-05, 10:07 PM
Hey guys just new to this forum.

I Have just acquired myself a nice little nova 1.2 spin.

The car was converted to a 1.6 but the engine has blown before i acquired her.

The car has had a full respray, gte/gsi bodykit, lowered (ass cut the springs), flushed tailgate and alloys.

I am wanting to put a new engine in her but am unsure as to what one. I would like a bit of power but prefer to not have a injection as have had a 1.4mpi astra cesaro and would like a change. I am thinking of something that i can have carbs/tb's on for a change, but want something with a bit of bite.

Before ppl start with the c20xe/let, i cant do this for insurance purposes as i am only 20 and have 0 years ncb as only started driving last june and on own insurance august.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance Mark :roll:

Paul
03-04-05, 10:36 PM
The SR lump is a good starting point, Ins Grp 7, 72bhp, parts readily available, cheap, easy to work on, easy to modify.

The SRi lump is 82bhp standard, Ins Grp 7, (same as you have in your astra), the head is a lot better on this, slighly more expensive but nothing major at all.

The GTE/GSi engines are Ins Grp 11, 100bhp standard, great head's, cheap as you like to buy, parts are easy to come across.

If I was you I would probably go with either the SR, then get a set of carbs, use the SRi head. Or maybe start with the 1600, drive that for a while, then modify when insurance is ok.

The GTE/GSi's really are quite quick for what they are. Up to you mate.

Va11xall_nova
03-04-05, 10:57 PM
What engine am i likely to get more performance out of from tuning it. am i better if going for either the gte/gsi 1.6 to get the gte as it has carbs so could put twin 40's on her or get the gsi and if the gsi what are the opportunities. thanks alot for the reply and that is a nice car in your sig (your's)

Paul
03-04-05, 11:00 PM
The GTE/GSi engine (e16se) are the same apart from the late GSi's were c16se's (didnt have air flow meter). You can acheive 169bhp from a 1600 on twin carbs, and around 130bhp from a 1400 on twin carbs. Both are extremely tunes engines though.

Cheers by the way

Va11xall_nova
03-04-05, 11:02 PM
what are you running if u dont mind me asking. does it feel nippy

Paul
03-04-05, 11:04 PM
I had a standard SR engine on 40s with a 270 cam.

When it comes back it will have a worked SRi head, 285 cam, 40's, full exhaust system inc manifold and not too long after its been setup a little laughing gas :D

Va11xall_nova
03-04-05, 11:13 PM
do u think i would have to have alot of work done to put a gsi in if i have a gte engine in already. think im tempted to go along this line and see if i can get her to 169bhp as u said. what needs to be done to the engine to get this kinda power. could u list what i would need if you dont mind. will try get some pics of mine up as soon as possible and show everyone. :roll:

Aragorn
04-04-05, 10:53 AM
GTE and GSi engines are identical

only very late 1993 GSi's had a different engine as they needed a cat fitted

if your engine has a carb its not a GTE or GSi engine - its prolly from a 1.6 cavalier and has the really shite square port cylinder head

u can distinguish between the late gsi engine and the rest by 2 easy tp see things normally. the later engine has no airflow meter and the plenum chamber has no sticker saying Vauxhall EFI, the rocker cover is often plastic too with a vauxhall badge on it

Jack
04-04-05, 11:36 AM
Although your age isn't necessarily against you, your lack of NCB is - modifying an engine will soon make your premium shoot up.

Assuming the car is resgistered with the insurance company as a 1.6, how much are you paying now?

Snowface
05-04-05, 10:43 AM
u can distinguish between the late gsi engine and the rest by 2 easy tp see things normally. the later engine has no airflow meter and the plenum chamber has no sticker saying Vauxhall EFI, the rocker cover is often plastic too with a vauxhall badge on it

i think they brought in the squared off cambelt covers about the same time as the C16SE. (auto-tensioners)

or were these about on the E16SE for a bit?

Aragorn
05-04-05, 08:40 PM
i had a 1990 1.4spi with square topped belt cover and no autotensioner

and the belt cover doesnt fit on a car with autotensioner either

so the square top doesnt just mean its got autotensioner

apparently the autotensioners came in around 1991 so there is prolly E16SE's with autotensioners around?