PDA

View Full Version : MOT

novamadcars
03-04-05, 08:41 PM
hi just wanted 2 say that last time my car went in for the mot thay failed it on my single wiper is this rite?

Dod
03-04-05, 08:47 PM
As far as i know the single wiper needs to wipe a certain persentage or turn a certain number of degrees to be deemed road legal. Is it a proper kit?

General Baxter
03-04-05, 08:59 PM
if they fail you for it, just go to another garage works for me :lol:

epo
03-04-05, 09:10 PM
mine failed because it was parked up right :lol:

Will
03-04-05, 09:12 PM

what i often wonder is how yours didnt fail for its mirror tints which are illegal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike.
03-04-05, 09:13 PM
thats because epo's gods favourite :wink: :lol:

epo
03-04-05, 09:15 PM

what i often wonder is how yours didnt fail for its mirror tints which are illegal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have no idea myself either especially as the car was taken to a well known strict tester lol
i was talking to a guy who test mot's and he said if they fail them wind the windows down and disconect the switch
dont know if this works as i never tried it :?

nathan.
03-04-05, 09:20 PM
change the park position. it has to sweep 70% of the screen. i think

novamadcars
03-04-05, 09:27 PM
yes it was the proper kit . so how will i no if it is wipeing the rite amont of window?

Marc
03-04-05, 10:39 PM
i reckon (not totally sure tho) that window dont normally com under MOT cause as epo sed about havin the windows down etc so they must not com under MOT but dont take my word for it cause not 100% sure about it
but i know that a single wiper could fail MOT if the tester thinks its in the drivers driving sight.

can all depend on the tester i.e. how epo got his car thro mot with the clear lights and no red reflecters, depends about the place and the tester.

Adam
03-04-05, 10:58 PM
Well they test the visiblility through the windows, but i don't know if they test them from both the inside and out.
Inside would pass, but outside is a different story.

But i don't think not being able to see in the car affects MOT.

Jack
03-04-05, 11:46 PM
MOT is a bit shady on this.

c. a wiper installed for the use of the driver does not operate over an area of the windscreen large enough to give the driver an adequate view of the road (through the windscreen) to the left and right sides of the vehicle. as well as to the front.
...is the official word on windscreen wipers, so it seems to be a up to the judgement of the MOT tester a bit. However, you could fail as it doesn't give a clear view of the road, for more info read here (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_830.htm) as I can't be arsed to read it myself. :wink:

dandan
03-04-05, 11:55 PM
Well they test the visiblility through the windows, but i don't know if they test them from both the inside and out.
Inside would pass, but outside is a different story.

But i don't think not being able to see in the car affects MOT.

They dont test the windows at MOT (YET!). VOSA stated (last time I checked their website) that it would be unfeasible to have the relevant equipment in every MOT testing station.

Trust me I've done some research on this not so long ago :wink:

novamadcars
04-04-05, 12:01 AM
cheers lads

Dave
04-04-05, 12:05 AM
mine failed on this too,
it was to do with the position it came to rest in (middle of the screen) it was judged that it blocked a view of the road so was therefore a fail but if it's moved to near the bottom right hand side of the screen (as you look at the car) it's perfectle ok as it won't block the drivers view

kevster
04-04-05, 05:21 PM
how wierd is that :o i always got my mots with mine they never used to like my rear lights not but there e stamped so they have to pass them

Chris
04-04-05, 05:29 PM
I always used to get my single wiper to park at the bottom of the screen on the drivers side, out of the view though, I found that this way when you had the wiper on intermittant after sweeping the water didnt run back up the screen into the view of the driver

Chris

Dod
04-04-05, 08:50 PM
It is a grey area, and it depends which test centre you go to weather you're failed or not. Local Garage men and dealers over here get women to test their cars as its thought the testers wont be as strict with them, or if the tester's having a bad day, who's to say he wont fail you for the sake of it?

Jack
05-04-05, 12:28 PM
they never used to like my rear lights not but there e stamped so they have to pass them
E-mark doesn't - or shouldn't - mean fuck all to a tester. If the lights don't meet the MOT criteria, they fail - e-marked or not.

novamadcars
05-04-05, 02:27 PM
just fink i will put normal wipers on for mot time and change it back over when mots been done any 1 got a gromit that will fit the hole where the wiper is fixed?

Dave
07-04-05, 11:27 PM
i souldn't find one that fitted very well so i cheated an used a shiney coach bolt & a bling washer lol