PDA

View Full Version : Auto tensioner + water pump seal

dandan
03-04-05, 12:28 PM
I know this was touched on a while ago, but can I scrap the timing belt auto tensioner and just use a normal 1.2 belt?
Also I have a crystalised powder all round my water pump. Does this mean the seals gone? How easy are they to change? (gotta drain the system down anyway cos of taking the head off for cam change)

Aragorn
03-04-05, 10:49 PM
yer i'd relpace the pump and make sure theres no corrosion damage to the oil pump housing caused by the crystals

dandan
04-04-05, 12:11 AM
It just seems to be isolated to the pump face itself. Only noticed it as I was stripping everything down!

Any ideas on the tensioner?

Stuart
04-04-05, 07:59 AM
yes you can bin the auto tensioner and use the shorter belt, i did this on Jims car a few weeks back and its much better, since the AT was fooked making the belt dance over the cam pulley lol

since you have ot move the pump to tension the shorter belt, take it off and replace the seal (i would also be inclined to splodge some silicone round it too and make sure you set the belt tension as soon as the pump goes in, but thats me being paranoid lol) and regrease the pump etc blah blah