PDA

View Full Version : 2000rpm idle?

Dod
03-04-05, 10:42 AM
Right, got the car sorted, a bit. Its idling properly but only at 2000rpm. My mechanic says he might be able to sort this with a 1800 brain,, but i think this might be too much, its still only a 1400 engine. He says the best we can hope for is a 1200rpm idle. Is there anything i can do to lower that a bit?

m.d.
03-04-05, 12:57 PM
what engine do you have mate. you can turn the idle down on the throttle body, its a small screw facing you in a deep recess above the linkage

NovaloadedAgain
03-04-05, 03:22 PM
Do u use that mechanic much?? He sounds like hes chatting sh*t, It could be a hold load of little things.

Snowface
03-04-05, 04:34 PM
if its a 1.4sr then turn down the idle screw.

if its a 1.4spi then i think you can adjust that in a similar way.

Mpi i'm not so sure about.

Dod
03-04-05, 08:44 PM
Ita a spi with a ported head and a 270deg Cam. He says that below 2k that it;ll not idle, and that it'll just stall. I'm not sure and he's not either. We've sent it to a guy that races Nova's and Corsa's but i dont fancy sitting next to the cops at the lights with my car idling at 1200 and a loud HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMing attracting lots of attention.

Aragorn
03-04-05, 10:12 PM
1400 spi should eventually sort the idle out unless there is an airleak

take the idle control valve off and clean it out and see what happens - if the ecu cant get the engine down to 900rpm u will get a fault code and management light will come on - my 1.2i had a pipe missing on the brake servo feed which meant it was leaking air and idling at 1100rpm and the management light would come on if u left it idling for any more than a few seconds

either the valve is stuck or the ECU simply hasnt learned how to deal with the new mods yet, u will need to drive it for this to happen tho as it will only start modifing its map once it gets upto temp and can start reading data from lambda probe

Dod
04-04-05, 08:54 PM
Right, basicly, cheak for air leaks, if there's none, take it out a run and it should sort itself out. Great stuff Aragon. To the rescue once again! :lol:

Aragorn
04-04-05, 09:21 PM
yup

i had mine do this when i tried to start it with no fuel pump relay

it'd obviously wound the idle control valve right in trying to get it to start and when i replaced the relay and started it, it revved up to about 3k and took about 60seconds to come back down to the proper level lol

Dod
05-04-05, 06:54 PM
Brilliant. I'll keep you posted then.