PDA

View Full Version : gsi big ends gte

silvernsqure
03-04-05, 12:21 AM
just got a gsi n the big ends are blown!
its a H reg and i was woundering if the big ends can be chaged with the engine in place?
how quick is this?
or what engine has the h reg gsi got init? what engine other than a gsi can i use i.e (gte)????
what year gte would i be lookin for?
cheers

nathan.
03-04-05, 10:45 AM
i'd just get another gsi/gte engine. the bearings can be changed in situe, but the head has to come off so you can get the rod and pistons out. Also, it might not just be a case of changing the bearings, the crank my need to be re-ground/re-sized due to wear or damage. So alot of work when you could just pick up another engine for cheap enough.

Nathan

dabow
03-04-05, 07:46 PM
i agrea, the other way would be to get a ready bilt block ect, + the gte/gsi are the same. :lol:

Aragorn
03-04-05, 10:02 PM
thing is u can look at it two ways

1. stick another engine in for say ?100 plus time and labour etc

2. repair your engine - prolly around ?50-60 for the bearings (big end and main), ?80 if the crank needs reground and another ?60 on general rebuild parts - ie gaskets timing belt water pump etc and possibly fit some new piston rings while your there

with 2. u may spend more - but u then know the engine is going to last and that its in prime condition ready for anything u want to do to it in the future

you could pay the ?100 and 5 months later throw another set of bigends meaning more time and more labour costs for another engine change or repairing that new engine

i'd do 2, especially if u drive the car hard

Festerfly
04-04-05, 10:21 AM
i gotta GTE which i am flogging for spares. can tbe sdriven and the engine is strong and has a new clutch...

let me know if you are interested?