PDA

View Full Version : Differences between a GSI and GTE

Festerfly
01-04-05, 05:04 PM
Being new to the world of Vauxhalls... (ford man before.. sorry! :roll: ) i was wondering what the main differences were and if one is better than the other?

Cheers

dunova
01-04-05, 05:25 PM
The gsi is the mk2 version of the gte, e.g the facelift model. So it has slimmer headlights, different grill and front wings, mk2 dash, nice black recaro interior (in the gsi) including the dash, facelift bumpers (rounder). Think thats about it. Hope that answers your question!!

PS, the gsi is 100bhp so the same as the gte, not quicker or anything like some people think lol

peester
01-04-05, 06:17 PM
gte's have more 'appeal' as they are the original; now officially old skool. people are certainly leaving the front ends on the gte alone now, more regularly - rather than 'facelifting' it to gsi - look. which is a good thing imo. both are cheap really, but finding/seeing a nice tidy gte is a treat nowadays.

boredbloke
01-04-05, 09:36 PM
Gte's are verys slightly faster than gsi's ..(thats when they were new)

Gsi were the more comfortable plush ones (again that was when they were new!)

supposedly GSI were the more upper class one's but imo it don't make any differnce any more it's rare you get completely standard ones any way.

Will
01-04-05, 09:51 PM

total rubbish the late GTE and early GSI have the same engine for example!

they are all 100bhp regardless

Ste_Nova
01-04-05, 10:08 PM
gte are faster to 60 (no ew/cl/sr etc)

gsi are faster top end (lower drag factor)

boredbloke
01-04-05, 10:48 PM

Note the fact i said "very slightly" theres a weight difference

anyway check out figures.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/bwareofblade/Image417.jpg

0.5 second diff getting to 60 and 1mile more top speed lol!

see "very slightly" ...u arse

Riggy
01-04-05, 11:45 PM
pmsl max power know bollox all about novas :lol:

intergraleevo
01-04-05, 11:57 PM
max power know nothing about everything.
i used to buy that when i was 15/16, some excellent cars (cool novas, i even have one on a astra mk1 day, some amazing looking cars there) things like golfs, 205's. and now its all jap crap rice rockets, and to get in you have to chuck about 20k at a car, and send it to a garage mainly.

big up the retro cars now!

chris

Philsutton
01-04-05, 11:59 PM
best thing in the mag is where they ask the drivers what the best car youve wasted, pmsl they all say ive killed a scooby turbo, or a porshe man innit in ma 1.2 corsa. Over taking them doesnt count

boredbloke
02-04-05, 09:13 AM
This is the haynes max power guide to Novas.

It's not out the mag. And has anyone else got anything better to go by?

Festerfly
02-04-05, 10:43 AM
appreciate your help peeps....

Will
02-04-05, 10:55 AM

GTE's had CL and SR

the later ones had EW also.............

Will
02-04-05, 10:56 AM

see "very slightly" ...u a***

figures are bullshit........ sum1 find vaux figures for an accurate reading as thats when they were properly tested.

TBH who gives a fuck

Snowface
02-04-05, 11:32 AM
TV mag quote some.

think its something like
GTE = 8.9 second max speed 118mph
GSI 9.0 seconds, Max = 119mph.

novaexplod
02-04-05, 12:15 PM
its been known that a totally standard sri (engine running slightly rich) has beaten a totally standard gsi, so theres another one for you to argue over :lol:

Ste L
02-04-05, 12:16 PM

see "very slightly" ...u a***

figures are s**t........ sum1 find vaux figures for an accurate reading as thats when they were properly tested.

TBH who gives a fcuk

anyway, it all depends on the driver, if you got a fat **** driving the gte, and a skinny **** driving the gsi, then the gsi will be faster... lol :lol:

Nick
02-04-05, 02:09 PM
its been known that a totally standard sri (engine running slightly rich) has beaten a totally standard gsi, so theres another one for you to argue over :lol:

no really, i don't think it has LMFAO !

there is about 20bhp difference.

And yes, the GTE is slightly quicker 0-60, that's what i've allways believed.

if you look at the engine codes E16SE, compared to C16SE the C and the E

C - EC 91/441/EEC, US ' 83
E - ECE R 83 A (as R 15.04)

it's basically all to do with exhuast emmisions, and usually, the more guidlines you have to comply with, the more power is lost.

take the X16XE and the C16XE for example. there is a bigger powerloss between the two than the E16SE and the C16SE

so therefor, the E16SE GTE should be ever so slightly quicker than the C16SE GSi (also added extra weight as well front bumper e.t.c)

Barn
02-04-05, 05:39 PM
my gte has electric windows, central locking and a sunroof, lmao

intergraleevo
03-04-05, 02:55 PM
another point, anything built after 92 has a CAT as standard, and this robs you of a few bhp. not to say that vauxhall cant counter act this by fitting nicer inlet manifolds etc, but they probably didnt anyway.

Thats why (for example) an AX GT built pre 92 is quicker than a AX GT built 92 or after (K-plate or after), because Citroen did nothing to counter act the power reduction due to the fitting of a CAT.

Applies to many cars.

intergraleevo

Snowface
03-04-05, 04:39 PM
a cat gives more back pressure i think so you will get some more torque in the mid-range, while sacrificing power at top-end.

The more torque you have the faster acceleration.

Power isn't really linked to acceleration in the way torque is i think.

Ste_Nova
03-04-05, 05:56 PM

GTE's had CL and SR

both optional... and not fitted when doing the speed tests

Ste_Nova
03-04-05, 05:59 PM
it's basically all to do with exhuast emmisions, and usually, the more guidlines you have to comply with, the more power is lost.

so therefor, the E16SE GTE should be ever so slightly quicker than the C16SE GSi (also added extra weight as well front bumper e.t.c)

my cats gone in the bin.. and i've fitted a 4 branch 8) ... u up for a race on monday ste?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/K368ARO/PA170004.jpg

dunova
03-04-05, 06:56 PM

A lot of gsi's are E16SE, same as gte.

But i agree that a gte may be SLIGHTLY quicker 0-60 than a gsi due to them being abit lighter.

Philsutton
03-04-05, 06:59 PM
even if one is slightly quicker than the other its not something to lose sleep over. Probably the same effect as having a big turd before racing your mate

dabow
03-04-05, 07:28 PM

sorry matty, the gte i had, dad e/w.. c/l.. this was on a g plate. the only thing which made the gte faster was that some came with cats. the top end was the same just quicker to top end. with a k&n great sound from the engine. :wink:

Philsutton
03-04-05, 07:34 PM
yeah well its got an V8 in it now, something that realy will sound good lol

dabow
03-04-05, 08:02 PM
it may have a v8 in, but it did have s/l e/w, ya carn't disput that can ya, go & play with your v8. the engine it did have was smooth sounding. the leather it did have looked great, to much class for ya. + to much waight. my poor nova :cry:

Snowface
03-04-05, 08:06 PM
A lot depends on the gearbox and FD. Also how good a driver you are.

The figures Vauxhall quote are probably from experienced test drivers who also know exactly when to change gear.

A 1.6 GTE with an F13 WR and 3.74 FD won't be as fast to 60mph as a 1.6GSI with an F13cr 4.18FD. even an Sri with F13 4.18 may beat the above GTE to 60mph.

Will
03-04-05, 09:03 PM

GTE's had CL and SR

both optional... and not fitted when doing the speed tests

SR was fitted on all GTE's and GSI's

lmfao

Ste_Nova
04-04-05, 12:08 AM
euro ones didn't neither did euro gsi's

Jack
04-04-05, 11:20 AM
and now its all jap crap rice rockets,
Steady now.... :wink:

and to get in you have to chuck about 20k at a car, and send it to a garage mainly.
?20k on crap fibreglass bodywork and "w1kk1d" paint :wink: :roll:

The figures Vauxhall quote are probably from experienced test drivers who also know exactly when to change gear.
I wouldn't bet on that.... Manufacturers performance figures can often be just as poop as everyone else's.

Anyway - for around half a second difference between 0-60 times and a couple of mph difference top end, the performance will be effected more by the driver than the vehicle itself. And with older cars, such as Novas, it depends a lot on how well they've been maintained.

Do all GSi's have cats? Or is it just the 92/93 ones?

Aragorn
04-04-05, 04:58 PM
its not half a second its 0.1 seconds which could be down to lots of things, ie driver, weather, tyres, grip etc

again with top speed your talking 1mph which could be down to slightly less wind resistance, wind blowing a different direction, friction from tyres etc etc

these days its going to be down to which one is in the best condition and not much else

Will
04-04-05, 05:21 PM
euro ones didn't neither did euro gsi's

but they are opel's and corsa's :P