PDA

View Full Version : Painting alloys

Jack
31-03-05, 11:38 AM
I'm wanting some new wheels, and I'd like to get some split rims with a silver/chrome rim and black or gunmetal centre section and spokes. Problem is, can't find any I like in that colour setup.

If I was to buy some normal silver split rims, how would I go about getting the centre part painted, would the wheel need to be separated? I know a few people on here have had their wheels powder coated, would this be the best way to paint them? How tough will the finish be (don't want it flaking/chipping off!)? And roughly how much would it cost?

NovaloadedAgain
31-03-05, 02:21 PM
Try Konig or wolfrace, Wolfrace have a chrome dish alloy with black spokes, available in all offsets & sizes.

Jack
31-03-05, 02:57 PM
Don't like Wolfrace, they're half a notch up from Fox on the "Mmm, Razorjack loves the cheapness and quality of THOSE wheels" scale :lol:

K?nig are ok.... but they don't do wheels in the style I like, and afaik they're not ST205 friendly (find one and look at the brake calipers, you'll see what I mean).

Lenso (RS5 and KR5), 5Zigen (Hyper) and Tenzo-R all do some nice wheels in the style I like, but again they're a bit dodgy when it comes to clearing my brakes.

TRD do some nice wheels - but usually only white or silver.

I'm a fussy bastard, me :wink:

markiemark
31-03-05, 05:13 PM
"I know a few people on here have had their wheels powder coated, would this be the best way to paint them?"

I have also heard of this method, and i have a mate who offerd to do my wheels the same way (but with a white finish)

does anyone no how this is done and how good a finish u are left with? it sounds a bit dodgy to me?? :o

would be great for pics or general feedback

General Baxter
31-03-05, 05:21 PM
atherstone repair center

my speedlines cost me ?80 per wheel totaly sanded down, resprayed grayish colour (std) with a blast of silver metal flake on :lol:

so far they have with standed a few good hits the the hammer and bar :oops:

NovaloadedAgain
31-03-05, 06:59 PM
Yeah my alloys are powder coated, High quality gloss finish, Look great. Not the cheapest option though.

coxie
01-04-05, 11:54 AM
a mate of mine had his painted, not powder coated they were restored and painted pure white and blue pearl to match his car ..

only cost him 25 quid a wheel and there still perfect nearly yr or so on

Nick
02-04-05, 08:32 PM
?40 for a refurb and repaint

so if they're in pristine condition, then you'd be looking at half that per wheel !

be carefull with split-rims and getting tyres fitted.

the local Chumps at the "modified car/tyre shop" split a skylines rims apart because they ran the tyre fitting machine on too high pressure.

and they're reasonably expensive to get pressed back together, i think they Cryrogenically bond them together, like the mountain bike suspension forks i have on my MTB. it was ?80 to bond the legs back together after i split them apart

Jack
03-04-05, 11:28 PM
Well they'll be bought new, so I'm assuming they'll be in good condition for painting!!

Not a good idea to break up split rims then... hmm... is it possible to mask the rim off and just powder coat the spokes?

Nick
04-04-05, 08:01 PM
im not 100% sure on the cryro fit theory...

but that's how they usually join two peices of metal together, along a seam, and very very tightly !

coxie
05-04-05, 12:12 PM
ye they usually would mask up parts u dont want doing and spay say only the spokes ..

ring around local powder coaters in ur local yellow pages mate or try yell.com for powder coaters ..

sure theyll be able to accomodate ya