PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Removal ??

Budgie
30-03-05, 06:15 PM
Hi, bought a new steering wheel for my car, but cant get the old one off! ive taken the nut off and pulled (and hit with hammer lol ) but it wont come off!

Any ideas would be wicked!! Thanks

shy witness
30-03-05, 06:44 PM
id the same problem with mine b4-but ended up with my mate sort of shaking it from side 2 side wile i hit the centre shaft afew few hard digs with ahammer and punch 2 break the seal- 5 or six good hits and it woz off

Mike.
30-03-05, 07:05 PM
don't hit it from side to side as you'll damage the bushes and the steering column its self, when i removed the wheel on a nova GTE i had we just yanked the wheel forward and it came off

nathan.
30-03-05, 07:21 PM
make sure you leave the nut on a couple of threads otherwise you'll have a bust nose and 2 black eyes. :wink:

boredbloke
30-03-05, 07:46 PM
make sure you leave the nut on a couple of threads otherwise you'll have a bust nose and 2 black eyes. :wink:

pmsl!!! now that would be funny to tell ppl!

Dar
30-03-05, 07:51 PM
Also you dont want to hit the column without the nut on because you will knacker up the thread!

I took mine off the other day and all you need to do is loosen the nut, I have the nut undone so that its just a bit proud of the thread and then gently hit the nut with a hammer. Keep hitting it and watch the distance between the nut and the steering wheel. If its not moving hit it a little harder but just keep hitting it and you will see that the steering wheel will slowly get pushed off by the spring thats behind it. Then at some point it will just pop off.

Once you fit the steering wheel back on you may get a clicking when you turn the steering wheel. If you do just undo the steering coupling near the pedals and re-adjust it.

dan-hipgrave
30-03-05, 08:50 PM
Just buy the puller people - www.draper.co.uk :lol:

Ive got one and can remove vauxhall steering wheels in less than a minute.

Aragorn
30-03-05, 10:10 PM
i buahg thte proper puller and it didnt fit properly :/

dan-hipgrave
30-03-05, 10:13 PM
yeh sometimes they need a bit of modification to the legs, by way of an angle grinder lol but its still easier to use one that doesnt quite fit properly than banging and pulling at the wheel risking damage to the steering column and yourself..

Aragorn
30-03-05, 11:49 PM
what i did with mine was remove one leg, then got a socket extension bar and a T40 torx socket and put that inplace of the leg i'd removed

the single leg pulls em off fine - the torxsocket/extension was only there to stop the puller tipping over to one side :)

SRlew
31-03-05, 04:57 PM
i posted on here last month about how to get mine off......
well i bought a puller and i snapped 2 hooks off of 2 legs so i left it for a while, im going to get my brother to help me get mine off.

it started to get me stressed so i just left mine for a while, i carnt drive it yet so it dosent bother me.

good luck with it :lol: