PDA

View Full Version : Anti-friction treatment

Clutch
30-03-05, 01:56 PM
Is this good or is just an ilusion?

Dar
30-03-05, 02:08 PM
If you talking about stuff like Slick 50 then don't bother. I have read lots about these types of oil additives and all of them agree that they are a waste of time.

I can't find the best page I read on this subject which is a shame because it really was well put together etc.

Anyway the author of this page seems sell informed if you want some extra reading - http://www.xs11.com/tips/maintenance/maint4.shtml

Stuart
30-03-05, 02:08 PM
swings and roundabouts really, just don use it before 10K miles(16900 Km )on your engine if youve rebuilt it! otherwise it might not run in properly

Snowface
30-03-05, 10:38 PM
i was told to use 'Running-in' oil for the first few hundred miles.
It has no 'anti-wear' additive in so lets the rings bed in.

Clutch
31-03-05, 02:09 PM
So is not a good idea.
correct?

-Bruce-
31-03-05, 04:08 PM
I was told by the engineer to use cheap poor quality oil for the first 1k on the newly rebuilt engine. Then after its run in use a better brand name!! Not sure if this is correct??

The reason behind it was, The poorer quality oil will wear the bearings in beter. Then you use the good oil to keep the bearings well oiled and in a good state.

Correct????

Bruce

Dar
31-03-05, 05:27 PM
Bruce - yes correct :D

If you use a good engine oil like a fully synthetic oil in a brand new engine then it won't let the engine run in and can actually damage the engine.

Clutch - Yes the additives are a bad idea. If you want to keep you engine nicely lubed then just use a good fully synthetic oil and don't forget to change it.