PDA

View Full Version : For all you paint boffins!

hendrix
29-03-05, 02:52 PM
Quick question here
what ratio do i mix thinner:paint for spraying my car. The paint is 2pac cellulose stuff.
yes im gonna have a go at spraying my car....it cant get much worse really :roll:
Cheers

5_door owner
29-03-05, 03:10 PM
Quick question here
what ratio do i mix thinner:paint for spraying my car. The paint is 2pac cellulose stuff.
yes im gonna have a go at spraying my car....it cant get much worse really :roll:
Cheers

i usually mix 50;50 comes out nice and even, but different paints will need either more or less thiners than others,

good look on the spray job, its a peice of piss really, just get your gun setup so it suits you then spray away (and if it fook's up, just sand and try again untill you get it right

hendrix
29-03-05, 03:18 PM
well it cant be any worse than the job the gimps did on it before and i got about 2ltrs of paint left, just enough for a quick sprayin i think. if i mix 40:60 then will the paint be a bit thicker?

5_door owner
29-03-05, 03:21 PM
what it is really ,is if you want to spray the car with more thin layers thin it down more with say 60;40 thinners;paint and build up the layers, or you could mix it 40;60 and do fewer layers, with better coverage, it all depends on what you feel comfortable spraying with, ie if you dilute the paint too much, it's going to be a lot easier to get runs in the finish

ade
29-03-05, 09:37 PM
it all depends on the type of paint (the actual maker), the temperatuire and the conditions your spraying. Also the gun, the type of thinners and the area being sprayed.

:o

If the thinners is fast evaporating you may get the orange peel effect

If the thinners is slow evaporating or youre spraying in cold conditions (below 65') the thinners needs to be used less or you will have too much thinners in the paint causing it to go milky or run or worse...

2 pak isnt cellulose - its resin based - turns to a form of plastic and after about 24-48 hours can be polished (no need for lacquer or curing for base coats).

Its also pretty dangerous stuff so make sure you use a fresh air respirator - you cant use a normal spray mask - its cyano acrylite based and is a MAJOR irritant to your respatory and nervous system. Make sure the area is well ventilated.

As for mixing - it depends on the product but its usually you add with 10% thinners depending on the temperature - you want the consistency of "milk" - whereby it coats the back of a spoon but isnt thick like cream. The body shop you get the paint from will tell you the exact mixing ratios.

I canr remember the exact amounts summut like 4 paint 1 activator and 10% thinners

Practice on a spare panel before hand and use an extractor otherwise the resultant dust overspray fallout will turn your paint job into a buffing nightmare (as I found out when I did my car!).

boredbloke
30-03-05, 08:40 AM
^^^

yeah thas what i was gona say!! :lol: :lol:

Alex
30-03-05, 02:21 PM
use a roller

Jack
30-03-05, 03:17 PM
use a roller
http://www.lestercat.net/images/steamrollerheader.jpg

I don't think thats gonna help the finish :o :lol:

hendrix
30-03-05, 03:43 PM
probably the best thing for me car tho :lol:

johnny27
03-04-05, 01:41 AM
don't mean to be too much off a downer tho, to be honest mate if you have'nt sprayed a car or panels before or have'nt much experience of fillers i would'nt bother trying it. Its very hard to get it right without past experience. Plus you're gonna have to block (sand using 1500) and polish the paint afterwards with a polisher, again not as easy as it sounds, take your eye off the sand paper or buffer for a second or go too hard and you've just cut thru a corner or more on your new paint. Plus if there's any silicone or wax in the air or garage your paint work is ruined, will have fish eyes all over the car, another rubbing down spree, deordorant or aftershave will do it aswell. Amount of hardner depends on the brand of the paint, for example the maxmayer paint (its quite good stuff) only uses 15% hardner, misjudge measuring it say about 21% the paint will take a week to harden or not at all, job ruined and you'll have to sand down the whole car. Its only my opinon, you'll prob do it anyhow, just trying to give some advice. goodluck

hendrix
03-04-05, 09:26 PM
i have done spraying before, just not with 2pak paint. Its not getting done now cuz the car is gettin scrapped now in a couple of weeks due to innerwing/suspension turret problems :cry: