PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the handbrake

dan-hipgrave
28-03-05, 11:14 PM
My handbrake itself is really loose so im thinking the ratchet may need tightening, but how do i do this??

Also, the handbrake doesnt really do much, if i am on a hill then the car rolls back with the handbrake applied, and i can also roll it myself - its getting very hard to undo wheel bolts because the car starts rolling :lol:

I followed the haynes manual on adjusting the yoke thingy on the rear axle but it seems to do nothing - i tighten the nut and nothing changes just the whole yoke setup thingy seems to rotate, it doesnt pull the cable tighter (iam holding the other nut in place as well...)

Any help appreciated,

Dan

Dod
28-03-05, 11:21 PM
Cant remember exactly but as far as i mind, take off the drum, and inside is a mechanism that you turn with a spanner to tighten that side, you'll need to do both sides to make them both stop.You'll need a bit of sand paper to rub inside your drums to get rid of any carbon deposits and while you're there, blow it all out with an air line if you have one. Also wash your ahnds as Mammy doesn't like dirty hand prints on the walls and door handles, believe me, i know!! :oops:

dan-hipgrave
28-03-05, 11:29 PM
aha i thought i may have to fiddle about with the drums, i reckon the cable is too far stretched to be of any use tbh - the handbrake can come up 6 or 7 clicks on the ratchet and i can still roll the car :o

How easy is it to change a whole handbrake cable?

Aragorn
28-03-05, 11:40 PM
it would amaze you how much 1mm of play in the drums does to the cable

dan-hipgrave
28-03-05, 11:47 PM
cool will have a play tommorrow and see what i can do, cheers guys :D