PDA

View Full Version : twin 40's

retrosi
28-03-05, 10:07 PM
how much would you expect insurance companies to increase the premium for fitting t40's to a 1300sr? I'm 24 with full ncb? just to save phoning around

NovaloadedAgain
29-03-05, 01:36 AM
Im 18, with 40s on a 1.4. I paid an extra ?250. Lol. But I live in an ok area of London in terms of car crime.

Jack
29-03-05, 01:14 PM
just tell them its a sport :wink: :lol:

The increase will vary wildly from company to company, depending how "mod-friendly" they are. Expect the car to be pushed up about 2 insurance groups.

NovaloadedAgain
29-03-05, 02:24 PM
Thats a very interesting comment Razor Jack "Tell them its a sport".
The sport is based on the L model, Very basic with SR interior. Now what Id like to know is, As its V5'd as a basic model car, When insuring a sport would you need to remind them it has twin 40's possibly irmscher cam etc? Or would they know?-That I personally doubt, So if you have a crash they may not pay out if they were unaware. My argument would be it was a homologation special & those were standard parts.

Any one know how the sport shows on insurance databases?

Philsutton
29-03-05, 02:31 PM
insurance companies dont really know much, better tell them

NovaloadedAgain
29-03-05, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I think its best to remind them too. Even though my insurance hit the roof! Lol.

Jack
29-03-05, 02:59 PM
Any one know how the sport shows on insurance databases?
If you tell the insurance company its a Sport then they don't have a leg to stand on if they refuse to pay out (assuming the car you insure actually IS a Sport!)- they've agreed to insure a Sport which comes with the T40s as standard (althought afaik the cam was an optional extra - but not an aftermarket part so you might be able to wangle it).

The ABI list the Sport as the same insurance group as an L - group 5 - as this is the car it was based on. Not sure how an insurance company would treat this though, they may add on a premium for being a Sport (if they know what it is!). Interestingly, this technically makes the sport cheaper to insure than a 1.3SR....

However - be aware that some people have provided registration numbers to insurance companies, and Sports have come back as a Nova L - this will be the car listed on your policy. The police may also frown on this, and try to do you for having incorrect insurance. You could still argue your case, but it would be a lot of hassle. I'd either get the insurance company to change it or have it in writing they know its a sport.

Anyway.... I'm going off on a tangent here lol

mad-driver
27-05-05, 11:32 AM
Made me laugh when i found out the Sport was only Group 5 lol, probably a hell of a lot cheaper to insure than my SR :evil: