PDA

View Full Version : Heater Problem

Muttly
28-03-05, 04:20 PM
My heater doesn't work!!!!! I'm so cold. But anyway, I was drving along and my heater stopped working. The fan still works but no heat. Its a 1.2spi mk2. Any ideas?

mikey14sr
28-03-05, 04:33 PM
If your carpet isn't damp and your coolant level is ok it could be that the control cable has come off. If the carpet is damp and coolant low then the heater matrix is most likely gone.

novax
28-03-05, 05:54 PM
I had this when I first bought "X". Several things...

1. check the coolent level
2. check the cables are still connected and working down to the heater box
3. matrix blocked, pull off both hoses from the matrix in the engine bay and shove a hose up inside, flush it through from both sides until the water runs clear. Conect it all back together and refill your coolent.

Muttly
28-03-05, 08:28 PM
The carpet is dry. I'm sure the coolant is ok. I'll double check in the morning before I go. The engine wasn't heating up too much so I'd say its fine. It never even got up to half way on the temp gauge after 2 hours of driving.

novax
28-03-05, 09:06 PM
OK, not to worry you but REALLY check that water.... The water temp guage doesn't work very well without water..... Just a warning

Dod
28-03-05, 10:13 PM
I've got the same problem with my Nova, but its slightly different. It comes on itself but wont run steadily. If you turn the switch to1, 2 or 3 it doesnt work but after a few mins it comes on for a few secs and stops. This happens even when the ccars not moving, ie, not damaged wiring. Also the fuel gauge sometimes gives false readings.

Muttly
29-03-05, 02:46 PM
The water level is a little low but its been lower so its not that. I toppd it up aswell before going to work this morning and it made no difference.

Aragorn
29-03-05, 07:15 PM
ok once the engines fully warmed up look down the back of the engine - you should see 2 1" pipes running into the bulkhead

check to see if BOTH of them are hot (ie as hot as the main radiator hose) if they are its most likely the cable to the knob has snapped

if one is cold then the heater matrix is blocked