PDA

View Full Version : Twin 40 fuel lines

retrosi
27-03-05, 08:52 PM
looking at the original nova sport setup for the fuel lines they use a t-piece with a fuel restrictor for the fuel return line. Does anyone know where i can get one of these. Or do i need to run a return? Any diagrams would be good.

Thanks

Simon

Philsutton
27-03-05, 08:53 PM
you shouldnt need a return fuel line, i dont use one on mine.

retrosi
27-03-05, 09:01 PM
so why did steve thompson use them on the nova sports?

burgo
27-03-05, 09:11 PM
my 40's dont have a return

retrosi
27-03-05, 09:13 PM
did you guys just block the return to the tank off? What would be the effect of a restricted return between the carbs be? Thats where the nova diagram shows to put one?

burgo
27-03-05, 09:15 PM
actually i wanna know that if it already has a return pipe on the car do you just block it off when not using it

Philsutton
27-03-05, 09:16 PM
ive just put a screw in my return pipe, not sure what effect that restricted return will do

Aragorn
27-03-05, 11:49 PM
the needle valves are only designed to handle a certain amount of pressure - normally 2.5-3psi

your mechanical fuel pump puts out a bit more than this - perhaps 5 or 6psi

with no return the fuel has nowhere to go and puts extra strain on the needle valves, having the restricted T is a very crude method of creating a fuel pressure regulator - fuel will flow along the open port mainly and will only flow down the return port if the pressure is high enough

CP
28-03-05, 12:02 AM
They aren't needle valves - they are little ballbearing valves but you are right about the pressure. Forget the return, fit a perolator or similar pressure reg. between the carbs and the fuelpump and set to about 3.5 psi

Aragorn
28-03-05, 12:14 AM
lol yer im not too hot on carb terminology but i knew it was the valves that fill the float chamber :)