PDA

View Full Version : Donington yesterday

nathan.
27-03-05, 12:47 PM
well, me and my mate had a trackday yesterday at donington. what a great day with myself gaining experiance with driving in different conditions.
i recently bought some coilovers, so a great chance to try them out and have a play.
well we started in the morning and the weather was great, the track warm and dry. brilliant conditions for a track day. there was a bit of banter between me and my mate as who would be quickest round donington. he has a 20xe corsa and me with the nova 1.6 t40. we were first out on track and he was pushing me round so i had to let him past, he was just to quick leaving me behind. anyway had some good races with bmw's, caterham's, mini coopers etc. so all was good.
At roughly 12pm the weather turned for the worst, it pissed it down with rain. Not good! resulting 1 session being cancelled cos the rain was just too heavy. anyway. back on the very wet track at 1pm with the rain still coming down. took it steady for the first few laps to get the feel of the car and track. it was very slippery. as the day went on the rain kept coming. but i felt i was getting better and better not being overtaken once so i just kept pushing harder. eventually catching up with the 20xe corsa and pissing all over it :D
it was brilliant, i was overtaking everthing, porshes, subarus, more caterhams, m3's. I was pushing abit too hard at times feeling the car get very twitchy and once spinning it on redgate facing the opposite way with cars coming towards me in the wet. managed to get back on track safely though.

So yesterday i feel i gained alot of experiance of driving in different conditions. just goes to show that nova's are fun what ever the conditions and in my opinion an awesome track car.
:lol:

scott.parker
27-03-05, 12:59 PM
Nice one nath,sounds like you had a great day,but i would of been well worryed about going round on the wet track,god i know i would have probably stoped,not wanting to smash the car etc.. but fair play mate,you will have to try out the curborough sprint track,as though its small is ace for learing about your car and your skiils,well i though so anyway,and in the wet was fun with the handbrake.. :wink:

Scott

nathan.
27-03-05, 01:16 PM
yeah it was wicked scott. loads of people went into the gravel including an evo 8.
i will defo come to curborough.
my fastest lap in dry was 1.34, fastest in wet 1.47

And i need a new gearbox as well. i fooked it up, now sounds like a straight cut.

scott.parker
27-03-05, 03:38 PM
yeah it was wicked scott. loads of people went into the gravel including an evo 8.
i will defo come to curborough.
my fastest lap in dry was 1.34, fastest in wet 1.47

And i need a new gearbox as well. i fooked it up, now sounds like a straight cut.

Nice one mate,i got a 1.34 in december,lol at gearbox sounds like you might have kild the diff mate. :lol:

Scott

benji
27-03-05, 05:58 PM
sound's like you had a good day. should be good when i can get there again. it will be close between us now you've had more track experiance.

nathan.
28-03-05, 12:09 PM
sound's like you had a good day. should be good when i can get there again. it will be close between us now you've had more track experiance.

shame you couldn't be there ben. alway's another time though. Have you ever driven round donington in the wet? They say its one of the most slippiest circuits in the world when wet.

cornish
29-03-05, 09:48 AM
Nice1:) Saw the pics in Total Vauxhall of your car looks very cool 8)

Are you going to Coombe on 23rd April?

What coilovers did you buy out of interest?

nathan.
29-03-05, 05:15 PM
No, not going to combe! imo i think it will be to busy and its a bit to far to travel. I use spax rsx coilovers.

benji
30-03-05, 09:05 PM
nath, what tyres did you use in the wet? if your not at coombe will you be going to donington? i might be going there instead because the cash i use on petrol going to coombe could be used at donington

nathan.
31-03-05, 10:31 AM
nath, what tyres did you use in the wet? if your not at coombe will you be going to donington? i might be going there instead because the cash i use on petrol going to coombe could be used at donington

I used them khumo's that i bought, still loads of tread left. Not sure about donington yet though, got a few problems with my car.