PDA

View Full Version : SR bargain!!

Matt GTE
26-03-05, 10:42 PM
Thought I'd stick up a couple of pics of my recently acquired G plate 1.3SR. It was advertised on Mig as a breaker due to it needing a VIC check having been written off sometime in the past and I went to look at it purely for the doors as because my J plate 1.2's are starting to look very very sorry for themselves. Ended up buying the whole car for ?125 as I was amazed how clean it was, only got 82k on the clock too which is pretty good for a 15 year old car :lol:.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/MattGSi//SR1.jpg

http://premium1.uploadit.org/MattGSi//SR2.jpg

Pictures aren't great, will get some new ones soon, it's pale metalic blue (Helios Blue I assume) not grey like it looks. Working on the basis that it appears too tidy to break and being rust free underneath, I've done a few little jobs on it to get it through an MOT (been sitting for 5 months before I got it) which it's booked in for this Tuesday and then it's got the VIC check on Thursday.

If all goes to plan, I'm going to break my 1.2 and fit the dash, bumpers and blue & grey SRi interior from that, lower it 35mm or so, fit some Cav GSi alloys, get the grill, mirrors and boot handle colour coded and then use it as my daily driver so I don't have to fix my Cav GSi Turbo quite so often!!!

Hope you like :D.
Matt.

Riggy
26-03-05, 11:18 PM
looks like a good one matey :lol:

get some daylight pics up

Barn
26-03-05, 11:21 PM
bargain mate

but it may not be all fun...

have you checked inner arches, battery tray, rear panel, boot floor, floor, inner wings, slam panel, front cross member, arches themselves etc etc for rust?

I have seen a car like this recently...rear arches mint, sills mint, floor mint, boot floor mint, front panel + inner wings rusted to fcuk, battery tray rusted etc etc

so check there first mate before you break anything! lol

anyway good luck :+:

Matt GTE
26-03-05, 11:29 PM
Had it up on one of my Dad's 2 posters the other week and had a good poke about underneath and all appears to be good. I've been told by the previous owner that the rear panel has been replaced and the whole car was resprayed when the accident damage (o/s front wing etc) was sorted, there are a couple of welded patches on the boot floor and the passenger rear arch needs doing but apart from that it really is very tidy for it's age... certainly a lot better than my J plate 1.2.

I'm not touching the 1.2 until the SR has gone through the VIC check on Thursday because if it fails that it has to be scrapped, end of as it can't be applied for again. Can't see me not getting ?125 back though if that is the case.

Will get some better pics in the week.

Mike.
27-03-05, 02:15 AM
looks alright mate, good that you checked the chassis for rot

bargain and a good project

scott.parker
27-03-05, 12:01 PM
Looks like a dam nice car mate..good find :P

Scott

Jim
27-03-05, 12:44 PM
looks like a good one matey :lol:

get some daylight pics up

Looks like a dam nice car mate..good find :P

Scott

How the f**k can you two make anything out from them pictures, lol. You got your gammer set really high? lol :lol:

Get some better pics up so those of us without night vision can see the car ;)

Jim

m.d.
27-03-05, 12:44 PM
ideal. so has it been sorn as off the road and to put it back on the road it has to be checked. i dont really understand how it all works.

i want to buy another nova in the near future to strip to a bare shell and prepare properly. so this may be the way to go

NovaloadedAgain
27-03-05, 01:04 PM
Lol at Nightvision!
Either way though mate, Good deal you got there, Hope its ok to go back on the road.

Aragorn
27-03-05, 01:55 PM
its a category C write off so it needs to have any accident repair work checked by VOSA and they'll also check all the numbers match up with the paperwork to ensure its not a cut n shut or ringer etc

Matt GTE
27-03-05, 02:39 PM
ideal. so has it been sorn as off the road and to put it back on the road it has to be checked. i dont really understand how it all works.
It's still taxed until Thursday and the MOT only ran out last week, I can't re-tax it until it's passed the VIC check though as DVLA won't issue a V5 document for it until then. It was being used on a regular basis until the guy I bought it off tried to transfer it into his Dad's name and it came back as needing the VIC, he was going to get it back on the road but didn't have the time for it.

I've had a read up about the VIC check on the VOSA website and it is literally an identity check... basically they look to make sure it's the car it's claiming to be and not a ringer, cut'n'shut etc etc. It also says that it is NOT a test to make sure any accident damage has been repaired properly.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/vehicleidentitycheck/vehicleidentitycheckscheme.htm

m.d.
27-03-05, 02:42 PM
they would have trouble checking mine as the only chassis no is the one that is rivveted to the slam pannel. the one on the floor by the seat was cut out due to a rust repare lol.

oh and the engine is an xe to so not going to help them lol

Aragorn
27-03-05, 02:54 PM
if u ever bend that car they will take it off the road as the identity is unknown

if your lucky you'll get away with a Q plate

mikey14sr
27-03-05, 03:31 PM
i want to buy another nova in the near future to strip to a bare shell and prepare properly. so this may be the way to go

If you do this to a car which is allready ok(it doesn't come up as being written off or of uncertain idenity), all you would have to do is declare it SORN, get all the work done to the shell and what-ever else your doing, update the details on the logbook as and when they change, ie, if you change the color, fill in the v5 and send it off, by the time you get it back, you might have changed the engine so again fill it out and send it off.

As far as I'm aware by updating the vehicles registration document in this way the DVLA/VOSA have a record of what has changed and therefore can still trace the cars history, so when you come to put it back on the road it shouldn't need a VIC as the id of the vehicle has never been 'lost'.

Matt GTE
27-03-05, 04:47 PM
Cat C write offs are the only cars that need VIC's before they can be put back on the road... VOSA won't do a VIC on anything else. With SORNed cars you just apply for a new tax disc, regardless of whether they've been modified while off the road or not.

m.d.
27-03-05, 06:19 PM
if u ever bend that car they will take it off the road as the identity is unknown

if your lucky you'll get away with a Q plate

trust me if i bend the car it wont be getting put back together in this shell. all do it better next time to another shell.

its been cosmetically written off twice now lol. but to cosmetically write a nova off you just need to brake a headlight according to mr insurance man

Matt GTE
29-03-05, 10:47 AM
MOT passed :D, all good except an advise on the handbrake cable but that can wait till it's passed the VIC on Thursday.

burgo
29-03-05, 07:43 PM
another great bargain

kevster
29-03-05, 07:52 PM
nice bye matey are you going to put it back on the road
:wink:

Matt GTE
29-03-05, 08:23 PM
IF it passes the VIC on Thursday it's going back on the road yes, will be raping my Mk2 1.2 for it's interior (blue & grey SRi) though cos the Mk1 dash is nasty.

Matt GTE
31-03-05, 06:58 PM
Well it passed the VIC today :D so is going back on the road as soon as the V5 comes through so I can tax it and the 1.2 will be stripped. Also discovered it has central locking today (have no idea how I never noticed that before!!) so I won't need to take the doors off to drill holes when I fit my electric windows... result :lol:.

Festerfly
01-04-05, 05:11 PM
Matt,

Remeber not to strip the Merit until i have had a look at it!!! lol

Just thought i would be cheeky!!