PDA

View Full Version : K&N + Big Bore Exhaust = power?

autox
26-03-05, 10:26 PM
Hi all,

Due to rule changes, in class 1 of my autocross i can fit a performance air filter and exhaust (previously all had to be standard)

I have baught a K&N air filter and a Peco 3" Big bore exhaust. Will these only make the car sound and look better or can i expect better performance in reality. I know these should, but do you recon i will see any more power/acceleration, etc?

Cheers

Michael

General Baxter
26-03-05, 10:34 PM
about 1-2bhp :lol:

johnny27
26-03-05, 10:41 PM
u probaly won't notice a change in power with that, but you might find the revs picks up a little quicker when you floor the throttle, but it will have on effect on perfromance. Would'nt be worthwhile fitting the peco box, if your aloud too now just stick a exhaust system on like an ashley.

Aragorn
27-03-05, 12:22 AM
yer you;d benefit more from a full system including manifold if the rules allow

m.d.
27-03-05, 12:34 PM
i know its only a peco box and is more for loudness but its a straight thro box where as the standard nova box is baffled badly. will only be a little but will help.

Nick
27-03-05, 05:02 PM
it'l widen your torque band ever so slightly , but you may find you have less torque in low revs

autox
27-03-05, 10:32 PM
unfortunatly the class i am in i cant touch the rest of the system, got to keep standard exhaust manifold, etc until the back box, the back box is the only 'free bit' i can change.

I am never at low revs so if it increases torque/poer, etc at high revs that will be me happy :)

cheers all

Michael

johnny27
27-03-05, 10:51 PM
you'd be better getting a better back box than a peco, an ashley would be better for power, not that it would be a big difference anyhow with just a backbox, but you mite as well get something that has been race proven (sp?) The reason i say an ashley is that they are suppose to be the best power gaining exhuast, where as something like a magnex backbox is better built to last rather than have as much power.

burgo
27-03-05, 10:51 PM
just looked threw ya website that shell aint to healthy lol i would of scrapped it but im glad you saved it to do something useful with it. id love to have ago at auto cross it looks so much fun

autox
27-03-05, 11:11 PM
yeah, the shell wouldnt have passed another MOT, with out serious ???. I baught it 2 year ago for ?100 and the engine is as sweet as a nut, even after one season, just needs a new rad and starter solanoid as i knacked that today putting the main live feed on and the bolt snapped (poxy copper),

best thing is if it brakes or rusts just mig a new plate in, and good as new :) dont have to worry about MOT's etc (just scruteenering).