PDA

View Full Version : gearbox on valver nova

Rx Jamie
26-03-05, 07:50 PM
just bought a 2 litre valver nova as a fun toy and general run around while my rx7 is off the road. been fine since i bought it then 5 pm today i lost 5th gear, then lost reverse about an hour ago, straight after that i lost 2nd and 4th. now i only have 3rd gear !!!! feels as tho the gear shifter isnt connected to the gearbox. not too good on vauxhalls what do you think the cause is. had a quick look but its too dark to see anything. Its got an f20 gearbox in it if that helps. cheers

Riggy
26-03-05, 07:52 PM
will prob need the gear selector re-setting as it sounds as it could have come lose

try get a look in the haynes manual on how to do it or search a few pages in tech its bound to be in here somewhere :lol:

Philsutton
27-03-05, 12:01 PM
Does sound like its come lose as well. Not a hard job really, you'll just need two people to do it.

m.d.
27-03-05, 12:29 PM
you can do it on your own and if anything it works better.

1. put the 4.5mm drill bit into the whole on the side of the selector on the box.
2. undo the pinch bolt on the main selector shaft from the stick.
3. get a large pair of mole grips and wrap the jaws in tape to protect the car.
4. use the moll grips to hold the stick in the correct position in the car (next to the notch on the car chassis)
5. retighten the linkage up under the car.
6. remove moll grips and replace gear gator and remove drill from box.
7. check for selection of all gears and off you go

Rx Jamie
27-03-05, 06:19 PM
thanks for the help. found the cause of the problem today. on the gearbox there is an S shaped selector with a ball joint on it. the bushing on the selector arm has perished and fell off and the ring is loose on the ball, causing the ring to jump off the ball.