PDA

View Full Version : Idle Control Valve

Markez
25-03-05, 07:29 PM
Hi folks,

My 1.4sri is in a world of its own just now as in the mornings or anytime really when you start up the car it revs up very high then slowly comes down again, but sometimes it sticks up at high revs for a wee while which isnt good for the engine.

I have been advised that it must be the Idle Control Valve, where can this be found? is it a common and easy job to sort?

Thanxs :wink:

SRlew
25-03-05, 07:52 PM
lol, no way my brothers GSI was doing that well bad!!
we posted on here a couple weeks back about it and it did turn out to be the idle control valve.

my brother cleaned his with water but someone said not too,
so go get some carb cleaner and give it a really good clean.

right, on the GSI it is next to the injection (efi, throttle body box thing) on the right hand side of it, it has a small black hose goin from the efi box (on the right) to the control vavle.

i should think it's be in the same place on the SRI, it was be really close to the efi box so should be on yours.

hope that helps a bit mate, lew

m.d.
25-03-05, 07:57 PM
while on the subject of ICVs can you leve the thing connected so the ecu believes its there (on an xe btw) but block off the piping to it. mine has been cleaned and its still playing up. i did it on my old 8v and just set the idle with the throttle body and it was fine. is it a good idea to do this or will it cause other problems.

sorry to highjack your post markez but it looks like your sorted :wink:

Aragorn
25-03-05, 09:29 PM
ALL idle control is done via that valve on the 16v engines afaik hence the huge pipe

novax
28-03-05, 06:01 PM
go here.....

http://www.vaux-md.net/injection/injec-intro.htm