PDA

View Full Version : What make's ecotec valvers slower?

dunova
25-03-05, 05:32 PM
Just out of interest, what is it that makes the 2.0 16V ecotec engines 136BHP? Is it the map on the engine? Bad cylinder head? Cams? Combination of everything?

I mean i know they're trying be as economical as possible and therefore power loss is inevitable really, but what have they done to them to make them less powerfull and more economical?

Cheers :D

PS, is there any way of 'de-restricting' them if you like?

Philsutton
25-03-05, 06:57 PM
the word eco just makes me see images of smelly hairy bums huggin trees, never a good thing. Get it on some carbs/throttle bodies and uprated the cams and i cant see any reason why it wont be making similiar power to the redtop with the same mods.

m.d.
25-03-05, 07:51 PM
im sure its mainly down to inlet restrictions. it has a very long inlet tract.
personally now ive got an xe in my nova i wished id had got an ecotec valver

they sound better with the standard injection. everyone ive seen gets bumped up to 145 ish bhp with just a filter and exhaust. and they are smaller neater looking engines.

and if you put throttle bodies and cams on them they will make 200 bhp as an xe will.

the also seem to be much smoother running engines too. with less ICV problems too

maxpaine
25-03-05, 08:45 PM
my calibra had a 2.0 ecotec whir 150 from factory

5toprjepog
25-03-05, 09:08 PM
It the fact that it needed to meet high regulations so the mapping is for economy and cleanlyness and it has a muted exhaust for emissions

dunova
26-03-05, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. So basically they're not as bad as i thought :D

I probably won't be going the way of carbs or throttle bodies, but a good filter, 4 branch and s/s system is likely. Is there any way of de-restricting the inlet? Such as removing any obstructions such as a large wedge shape butterly like in the gte/gsi?

the also seem to be much smoother running engines too. with less ICV problems too

I've heard they can be quite problematic? Throwing up engine management lights all the time?!?! I know the crank and cam sensors are common problems, but they're cheap and easy to replace.

General Baxter
26-03-05, 12:28 PM
the word eco just makes me see images of smelly hairy bums huggin trees,

nick? :lol:

johnny27
26-03-05, 10:52 PM
I heard of another restriction is the cyclinder head, something to do with the exhaust valves sitting slanted and reducing gasflow. Mechincally they're a bloodly great engine, as for sensors they're a pain in the ass, camshaft or crankshaft sensors usually replaced once a year on my mum's vectra and my dad's vectra sri. They are still quite quick engines though, but apart from the bhp difference between it and the XE it also losses alot more midrange torque due to someting in the throttle body.

rikih
27-03-05, 12:37 AM
e.c.o.t.e.c

Every Component On This Engines Crap

there you have it

:lol: :lol:

dunova
27-03-05, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that info johnny. Do you know if you can fit a coscast head to the ecotec's? And as for the throttle body-i'll be taking a much closer look at that :D

Lol, i love the way some people hate the ecotec's. Personally i think they're just threatened by their 'newness' :lol:

m.d.
27-03-05, 12:23 PM
dam good engines imo. would rather have one than an xe anyday.

if they can get to 200 bhp with the same mods as an xe and will never suffer from a porus head then that wins it for me everytime

Stuart
27-03-05, 03:27 PM
ohhh the un educated mocking an engine purely because its a lower powered version of an old engine.

its the EGR thats the key to sapping power. if you place simple things such as a decent exhaust manifold, some intake mods etc you will be back to XE power and so on. plus as said less porus gayness

dunova
27-03-05, 06:36 PM
Can someone explain the term 'porus' head to me please :oops:

its the EGR thats the key to sapping power

So would blanking the egr valve off be quite beneficial then?
Can you fit a coscast head to an ecotec then if its non-porus??

m.d.
28-03-05, 05:15 PM
kind of avoids the point of fitting an ecotec if your going to fit an xe head. what we are saying is that the ecotec head will not go porus like the non coscast xe head does. so if you cant find an xe with a coscast head and you are worried about it going porus just get a ecotec engine and live in the knowledge that it will never fail you,

Aragorn
28-03-05, 05:25 PM
its not so much porus as a crack between an oil and waterway that forms over time due to fatigue and bad design

porus basically means "Admitting the passage of gas or liquid through pores"

and im sure the XE head wont fit the xev bottom end anyway

novax
28-03-05, 05:41 PM
Thankyou Cambridge, someone with some knowledge...... The lower figures are indeed due to the angle of the valves in the head. The XE was build as a race engine whereas the XEV had to conform to strict emission regulations. One simple way to do this was to resrict the engine via the head (and inlet tract). This meant that the block didn't need to be changed at all.

Therefore the XEV block and the XE block are the same part number, also the turbo block is the same with the turbo oil return hole drilled in it. We know this as this is what we did building the turbo engine. XEV block, oil hole drilled and Coscast head on the top.

Nothing wrong with the Eco

dunova
28-03-05, 05:42 PM
Okay well thanks for the info. I'm not thinking about fitting one in the nova-i'm looking at an Omega 2.0 16v ecotec and was just exploring ways of upping the power. Not to anything breath-taking, just get it up to 160-170 ish would be nice.

So porus pretty much means its fooked :lol:

Well it's good to know the ecotec head is a very good design (as far as not failing goes).

I quite like the sound of the pipercross viper induction kits. They keep the air nice and cool and assist 'forcing' it into the throttle body.

Also, i was thinking of getting a 'power cap' but i don't really know what they are/do? I've also seen arguments of them actually decreasing power output. If i fitted a viper induction kit does this mean the power cap is a no-go? Are they similar things?

Snowface
28-03-05, 05:47 PM
i'd imagine ecotec's are almost at a cross-over point with red-tops (price wise) as they are becoming more common and redtops are getting fewer.