PDA

View Full Version : DIY front arch rolling

tom_beverley
25-03-05, 02:58 PM
Right..... one of my front shockers is knackered and knocking like hell over any little bumps which is really annoying because it is knocking all the time more or less and sounds crap.

I have the -60mm setup in the garage which I took off due to the front arches rubbing.

I'm getting sick of all the knocking and was thinking about knocking back the lip on the front arches. Has anyone else done this and give me a few pointers so I dont crack all my paint.

Thanks

notenuffhoursintheday
25-03-05, 03:56 PM
i would of thought the best way is to take it off and grind the lip back making sure u dont go to far to the edge then file it down but put a strip of tape around the edge :D

ANDYRACER
25-03-05, 04:47 PM
The best way is the professional way bt diy style get a grinder piece on the end of the drill then grind the lip off and repaint the underside off the wing.

tom_beverley
25-03-05, 05:19 PM
so is grinding them definately the better option that trying to roll them back?

dunova
25-03-05, 05:37 PM
I 'rolled' my own front arch's.
1-Jacked up the front to gain more arch room
2-Got the mole grips
3-Gripped abit of the arch and pushed it up SLOWLY and not v.much
4-Moved along about 2 inch's and repeated
5-Then did it again to move the arch lip up more. JOB DONE :D

No paint cracked atall and sorted it right out, but slowly and a little bit at a time is the way to do it, or you'll crack your paint. Better to do it when it's warm aswell. I wouldn't grind it if i were you-more work, more messy-don't do it!!

ANDYRACER
25-03-05, 05:56 PM
^^^ neva thought of that idea that would prob work beta. But u need patients or ull fuk it up.

tom_beverley
25-03-05, 07:26 PM
Cheers mate I'll try that tomorrow :D

I'm just not looking forward to how much is a little bit and cracking my paint :?

Aragorn
25-03-05, 09:32 PM
i just used a hammer on mine but it cracked the paint so u'd need to be careful

m.d.
25-03-05, 11:54 PM
wrap some tape round the moll grips to help protect the paint

Spud
26-03-05, 01:27 AM
whatever you do, heat up the arches with a heat gun beforehand, this will make the meatal more malliable and easier to work with.

tom_beverley
31-03-05, 10:48 PM
Right, I've put the -60mm suspension back on today, and before I did I got the mole grips and pushed the arch lip up. But I need to 'roll' them a bit more.

I did it a little bit at a time and didnt crack any paint at all. Problem is I can only 'roll' it so far before the mole grips hit the top of the inner arch. Its better than what it was but it still scrubs quite a bit when I've got a bit of speed or a passenger.

Only ways I can think of to do it a bit more, is to remove the arch and do it a bit more, or find something else where I can get that bit more of leverage.

Any other good ideas you guys have?

Aragorn
31-03-05, 11:02 PM
heat it up with a hair dryer then place a towel over it and hit it with a toffee hammer untill it clears

if u crack the paint get some hammerite into it before the rain