PDA

View Full Version : front shocks

chimp007_uk
25-03-05, 12:55 PM
hi,
went to fit some 60mm lowering springs today, but cant seem to get the piston rod retaining nut off. anyone know how???
cheers
chris

dunova
25-03-05, 01:12 PM
You need a gooseneck spanner to undo the large bolt and either a socket set on the little one or just grab it with an adjustable spanner and undo the large bolt (anti-clockwise) whilst holding the small one. Hope that makes sense and helps.

PS, turning the large bolts just makes the whole thing turn, thats why you need to hold the small one still.

chimp007_uk
25-03-05, 01:24 PM
cheers for that. where would i be able to get a "gooseneck" spanner?

dunova
25-03-05, 02:05 PM
cheers for that. where would i be able to get a "gooseneck" spanner?

Any DIY shop! You may have one though-it's just a like the 'ring' end of a spanner but has a slight 'neck' on it so it can get into small cavaties. It basically just means that you can get another small spanner on the other bit because the gooseneck spanner is open topped-unlike a socket set that woudl just get in the way.

dunova
25-03-05, 02:22 PM
This is what you're after mate, sorry its a painting :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/tezray/gooseneckspanner.bmp

chimp007_uk
25-03-05, 02:41 PM
i understand what you mean now...
cheers!

Philsutton
25-03-05, 02:42 PM
an air gun will have it off in seconds, ive spent hours trying to get the nut off with a spanner before much easier if can get hold of an air gun.

dunova
25-03-05, 02:46 PM
I thought air guns could tighten stuff up to fook, but not undo stuff for sh!te? Doesn't the middle bit just spin with it?

Philsutton
25-03-05, 03:09 PM
they undo stuff just as well if not better than anything else, trust me it'll just mizz it off

Nick
25-03-05, 03:40 PM
yep burgo uses his little snap-on socket and an air gun.

they are somtimes called a Cranked Ring spanner

chimp007_uk
25-03-05, 06:22 PM
the haynes manual suggests a cranked ring spanner... went looking for a gooseneck spanner in b&q and halfords and neither had any that would fit into the mount. whats a cranked ring spanner?

Aragorn
25-03-05, 09:31 PM
halfords ones are very shallow for some reason

i went to a local hardware store and picked up a draper one

halfrods stock draper but it needs to be ordered - ask at the parts counter for the draper catalog and find the spanner in that