PDA

View Full Version : Bigger engine help

swordfish
24-03-05, 09:28 PM
right got a nova 1.4sr at the moment ( originally a 1 litre ) i just bought a cavy sri 130 8v engine and loom etc....

done the conversion on an astra before but it was no probs cos it was originally a 1.4 mpi ......

anyway , wots the basics i need to do , in terms of

- drive shafts? nova gsi ones with 2.0 ltr inners?

- engine mounts is it the same as the xe mounts in a nova?

- fuel supply ? petrol pump etc..

- and the power to the ecu loom ? constant live and switched ignition?

the car currently runs 2.0 ltr brakes on the front and a 2.0 ltr rear disk conversion on the back......

some help would be great guys...

david dixon
24-03-05, 10:56 PM
the shafts are from a gsi nova but you need mk2 cav inner joints from a 1.6 big block engine.

engine mount is slightly different to a 16v (well the ones iv seen is)

you need a pump from any external pumped vauxhall, this can be used with a carb tank but dont run under 1/4 of a tank or it'll drain on corners.

you'll need the black wire (2.0 engine loom) and it needs fitting to the ignition live on the nova, thick red (engine loom) to battery (ecu live) green wire = rev counter.

you probably best using copper fuel lines under the car or at least from the pump to engine!

Aragorn
24-03-05, 11:29 PM
new nylon lines are a better idea as they are lifetime jobbies and will never corrode

i'd seriously advise getting a proper tank

im using a 1.2i tank with a mpi pump fitted from an astra (corsa, vectra, cav ones also fit)
i had a carb tank before that and it was gay tbh and leaning out at full load half way round a corner is an easy way to melt pistons and the like

im sure 2.08v and 2.0 16 use same blocks so the mounts will be the same

there are also wires for the engine management light (brown-blue) and a wire to fuel pump (red-blue)

dandan
24-03-05, 11:30 PM
you need a pump from any external pumped vauxhall, this can be used with a carb tank but dont run under 1/4 of a tank or it'll drain on corners.

you probably best using copper fuel lines under the car or at least from the pump to engine!

Would it not be easier just to get an mpi tank?

Aragorn
24-03-05, 11:38 PM
yer as i said get a proper injected tank

i couldnt find an mpi tank at all and finding mpi (external) pumps up here is like finding rocking horseshit

so i took the easier option of fitting a 1.2i tank and internal mpi pump

either way works, but i'd rather have a pump that i know there are hundereds of spares in scrappy than have an external one fail and have to fork out ?100 for a new one

dandan
24-03-05, 11:49 PM
sorry Aragorn, you got in before me :?

swordfish
25-03-05, 11:46 AM
cheers guys , i have a broke gte in the shed so i'll dig out the tank and pump .....might get the flex pipes.....( will any pipe manufacture make them ie cut to length? and jubilee clip them to the metal pipes.?)

heres some pics of the motor the now ...... etter once the engine is sorted...

a wanna join the coupe club..... :lol:

http://images9.fotki.com/v165/photos/7/79912/949013/nova1mod-vi.jpg

http://images9.fotki.com/v165/photos/7/79912/949013/nova2mod-vi.jpg

Snowface
25-03-05, 04:33 PM
looks like that bumper is ready for an intercooler :)

ANDYRACER
25-03-05, 04:51 PM
the rear bumper would look beta being a mk2 one and also nt keen on the cut out on the front bumper. But will be good when the engines in it.

Riggy
25-03-05, 07:13 PM
its gte shafts that you need mate 22 spline ones - granted some early gsi did have the 22 spline shafts but look for gte ones just to be safe

as for engine mounts if you get the conversion kit from somewhere like www.valvers.com the drivers mount will have 3 height postion holes and you will use 2 or 1 depending on what mounts your running for the 8v engine and ta different combination of 2 or 1 for the 16v engine

m.d.
25-03-05, 07:40 PM
for the 2.0 8v engine you can just use the standard astra mount on the drivers side. just elongate the slots a little and put a few washers on the rubber mount to drop it down a little. had mine like that for a year or so with no problems at all. and it clears the bonnet too.

job done and for free.

swordfish
25-03-05, 10:29 PM
cheers guys .... the front bumper is under construction was a kindom big mouth but due to it having a 60 mm drop with a 15's( now 30mm with 17) meant it got smashed up , so trimmed it the now to be tidier..... getting a cavy gsi back bumper cut in shut for the back as the length is the same down the sides..

been looking on ebay , might be able to get a cheap valver so might go down that route and punt the 2.0 8v on ......no decided completely ....

but thanks for the help guys its all been noted and compiled and ready for use when i decide to do the conversion ..... either now or the winter nights.... :?

Aragorn
26-03-05, 01:54 AM
bah i really need to get some funds and get my saloon finished

started it 2 years ago when there was none around and now theres quite a few :(

m.d.
26-03-05, 09:40 AM
bah i really need to get some funds and get my saloon finished

started it 2 years ago when there was none around and now theres quite a few :(

dont worry mate. ive only ever seen one in plymouth and that was god awful painted in pink. they are still a rarety done up properly.