PDA

View Full Version : the brakes.... broke....

alxlaw
23-03-05, 12:37 PM
iv got a 1.0 soon to be 1.6 in the garage n ages ago i thaut it would be a good idea to put luvly big brakes on unfortunatly i went to my local con man.....(sorry i mean vauxparts) in manchester, there he decided that the smashed up nova gsi in the corner of his yard was perfect for the job!!

now that was nearly 2 years ago.....n there broke now??......there on permanatly??, i thaut the cluch had gone because the car wouldnt move it just shudderd, decided it cudnt be that coz the cluch was brand new

so i jacked up either side of the car n tryd to move the wheel..... woulnt budge? now i know a bit about motaz but nout about brakes??....

are they f**ked, or is there sumthing i can do about them?

Aragorn
23-03-05, 02:30 PM
even with totally siezed brakes the engien should be able to free them off

try giving the disk/wheel a hit with a sledgehammer (not the disk face, the hub section) that sometimes frees them off

failiing that remove them and replace the caliper seals

u cant expect brakes that have been on there unmoved for 2 years are going to work perfectly can u?

Nobby
23-03-05, 05:00 PM
if its the brakes u must be able to free them i think? use some wd40 on them.

retrosi
23-03-05, 05:39 PM
the pads will just be stuck to the discs or the sliders are seized. As everyones said should be an easy fix. Itll free eventually. just dont burn the clutch out trying

General Baxter
23-03-05, 05:50 PM
use some wd40 on them.

on brakes, that my vote for mr. stupid :lol:

notenuffhoursintheday
23-03-05, 05:55 PM
my brakes were seized on mine the front 2 and 1 back one on the front the calipers had seized so what i did was took them off and freed of the pins in side that push the pad onto the disc and made sure there free but not to free to move then that was it and the back one had rust inside the part where the pins get pushed out when u put on the brakes one side was rusted alite inside it so cleaned it out and all worked :D

Riggy
23-03-05, 06:46 PM
even with totally siezed brakes the engien should be able to free them off

lol on anythin but a 1.0 :lol:

as said just take calipers off a free up the sliders or fit 16v brakes as even the gsi one wernt to good

Aragorn
23-03-05, 07:02 PM
your prolly better using the starter actually

starter provides maximum torque at 0 rpm

just watch u dont overheat/burn it out

Dod
23-03-05, 07:29 PM
I like the hammer idea myself!! :D
I've had a few XR3's with this problem, and usins a sledge is by far the most productive method, and it releaves stress. When they free up, drive like a mad man and stand oin the brakes, that'll sort them.

WD40? Better using Axle Grease aure, free them perminatly. :roll: