PDA

View Full Version : clear rears reflectors?

novafling
23-03-05, 12:15 PM
is it illegal to have just the clear rears on your car, without additional reflectors?

boredbloke
23-03-05, 12:40 PM
Not sure if it's illegal but u'll need em for the MOT

Jack
23-03-05, 01:23 PM
but u'll need em for the MOT
Thus making it a legal requirement ;0)

I ran with smoked rears and no reflectors, and never had any trouble from the police - but then I didn't ever drive like a knobber and attract attention to myself. I suspect if the police had ever pulled me over when I was lacking in reflectors, that would be one of the things they'd have a go at me for, but I doubt they'd pull me specifically for not having any reflectors (unless they were feeling really tetchy lol)

epo
23-03-05, 04:42 PM
i had my clears with no reflectors and never had any trouble and it passed mot 3 times with no bother

Philsutton
23-03-05, 04:48 PM
ive got tinted ones on mine an it goes through the mots all the time with them, put the police like them even though mine are legal. At the end of the day the police will moan about anything that doesnt come standard on a car.

sickrabbit
25-03-05, 12:47 PM
mine failed its mot on this issue - the guy who finally passed it ( put old ones back on just for the ticket ) said some insurers will not cough up with these items on the rear - so after putting em back on I stuck a small reflector on the bumper......

just in case like .

Riggy
25-03-05, 11:37 PM
lol this is quite a funny topic really as even the "e" marked clear lights like i have on mine still need to have a reflector stuck somewhere on the rear of the car

but i havent got any fitted to mine and have never had any trouble with them and they have been on for my last 2 mot's

Jack
25-03-05, 11:40 PM
What does the "e" mark actually mean anyway?

Riggy
26-03-05, 07:37 AM
not to sure exactly but its something to do with european safty standards

NovaloadedAgain
26-03-05, 12:24 PM
I never had probs with my clear ones for the MOT. & ive now got the red & tint lenses, Cant see them being a problem either. Although saying that I sold Bored bloke my clear rear lenses...& Now there gold! Lol,Dont think theyll pass mate!

ade
27-03-05, 01:27 PM
"e" is european safety standards - you should have reflectors from an insurance perspective bacuase if youre parked on the side of the road in the dark with no street lights and an old granny drives along they will invariably hit you because they wont see the glint of the reflector.

mikey14sr
27-03-05, 03:46 PM
The main point is that on clear rear lights the reflector will reflect as white, to be legal they should reflect red. If you get some stick-on red reflectors put over the white ones they should be fine. Or to keep the lights looking good it may be possible to cut the reflector setion out of your old lights and fit them to your clears(but thats too much faffing about). Personally I'd just tint the reflector section red, but be carefull not to put too much tint on as they won't reflect very well.

Cheeze
27-03-05, 09:34 PM
i had the same problem wi th mine from the police saying i had to have a red reflector, so i bought some lens repair tape which is just tinted film, a strip over the reflector bit and it was done, police were happy enough wi them

Riggy
27-03-05, 09:51 PM
The main point is that on clear rear lights the reflector will reflect as white, to be legal they should reflect red. If you get some stick-on red reflectors put over the white ones they should be fine. Or to keep the lights looking good it may be possible to cut the reflector setion out of your old lights and fit them to your clears(but thats too much faffing about). Personally I'd just tint the reflector section red, but be carefull not to put too much tint on as they won't reflect very well.

but that kinda takes away from the "clear" rears lol